Engine Trouble Engine dies when I release the clutch after a stop

rjriggs

Local time
7:56 AM
When I come to a stop sign and pull the clutch lever, the engine continues running; however, when I give it gas and release the clutch, the engine dies. Is this normal, or is the engine lacking the power to start moving from a full stop without pedaling?

depends on your ability to slowly let out the clutch while increasing engine revs.
but if you are good at that and it still often dies then your idle mixture is off.
for more low rpm power you can extend the intake tract. and increase engine compression. and put an iridium plug in it.

I always rev the engine too high when I try it. It wouldn't be such a big deal except that near my house there are several stop signs going up hills! Would a centrifugal clutch solve this problem?

with my highly modified 55cc I still preferred to pedal a little when I took off from a stop

one is expected to pedal the bike a few strokes to get rolling before letting clutch all the way out - few bikes will pull properly from a standing start

Like the other guys said, slowly release the clutch while giving a little throttle and pedaling should do the trick. I learned this over time and I have no problems with stopping and going now not even on hills. I do occasionally have to adjust the idle because I think the motor vibration over time likely moves it.

Back