engine head gaskest is not sufficent

peppy

Local time
3:38 AM
please help gang, new grubiee 66 , and im geting air and oil leak from the head gasket, resulting in loss of compression and thus power.I have changed the head gasket to a new one , its better than the first but still not completly sealed.I i used a torque wrench and tightened the nuts to 10 lbs of foot tourqe as specified in my manual,and used loktite (blue) for added strength,this bike has less than an hour of running time, its my first build and it hasnt run properly since day one , is there a suitable gasket maker that will seal and last or am i s.o.l ? i would appreciate any helpful suggestions. thanks ahead of time.:confused::sick:

How do you know its a air leak?

Have you tested it properly?

With smoke or gas? for example a lit cigarette or propane gas.

All HT's ooze unused and spent/used oil from most gaskets. They are not engineered like Honda or Yamaha or Morini ect.

For that matter all the early designed Japanese and European small bore 2 strokes also oozed out oil everywhere.

Its actually the sign of a heathy engine.

Either get used to it or buy a quality four stroke.

Also, loctite will not add strength.

Last edited:
My head gasket leaked from the begining, too. I used Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket. Spray both sides and let it set for 15 minutes and install. Did you use any kind of torque pattern? I use a "Z" shaped pattern and tighten in stages starting at 2 1/2 lb and going up 2 1/2 lbs at a time. My instructions say 12 1/2 lbs. is your target. Get rid of the acorn nuts, you can't see if the stud has backed out and they can cause a lot of problems.

I don't locktite the nuts but you can locktite the studs into the block. I raced and used ARP bolts and studs many times and they use a molybdnum disulfide assembly lube on the nuts and stud tops. This was to make sure your torques are right. These head studs is one place you need to trust lockwashers. Blue Locktite everything else, though.

man, you guys buying thses grubee engines have nothing but problems.
I got my engines (4th one so far) from boy go fast and i have not had any problems.
I always see people posting problems, and 9 times out of 10, it's on a grubee engine.

my guess with your leaking head gasket is either the surface of the cylinder, or the surface of the head is not flat (where the gasket goes).

as far as the quote "All HT's ooze unused and spent/used oil from most gaskets.", i have not had any leaks like this with my engines other than at the exhaust gaskets (which are junk). I replaced the exhaust gaskets with aluminum ones last year, and have not had a leak from them since.
My headgaskets do not leak, and my engines are as clean as the day i put them on my bikes.
No oil residue on my engines, except for inside the exhaust.

Last edited:
I had to send back my first motor from BGF. It would not fire, no matter what. I put the second one on and it fired right off. Wasted my summer working out the bugs.

It ain't all rosie at BGF...Yet I have bought from them since.

I never had a head gasket leak and here is what I do on ALL engines I purchase (dozens and dozens to date)

1. pull OEM headstuds and replace them with better quality ones.
2. JB weld the new studs into the engine
3. Flat sand the head and cylinder on glass with fine emory paper to ensure sealing surfaces are flat
4. Use copper gasket spray and spray both sides of aluminum gasket with about 3 coats, waiting a while for each coat to dry.
5. Install all parts and torque the heck out of the bolts holding the head down. I don't use a torque wrench I just tighten things down much higher than factory settings.
6. Ride and never have to worry about loose heads and head bolts pulling out of block again!

I had to send back my first motor from BGF. It would not fire, no matter what. I put the second one on and it fired right off. Wasted my summer working out the bugs.

It ain't all rosie at BGF...Yet I have bought from them since.

my guess is that you got a bad magneto or cdi box with that engine.
I'm just saying that i've had good luck buying from bgf.
I have no idea who manufactures the engines that bgf sells, but they seem to be pretty solid from what i've experienced.
Every engine manufacturer has issues, no matter who makes the engine or the parts.

MY BFG engines have been pretty solid too but customer service from them is god-awful. They often don't get their order correct, e.g. order a slant and get a non-slant or get something that looks completely different from the picture on the ebay listing. Returns and warranty work are unlikely. Most of my BFG had some sort of damage, broken head fins or damaged gas tanks. Never did get them to send replacement parts and email replys were hostile.

If you want you can use Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac instead of a head gasket (or base gasket). If you use it instead of a head gasket I would definitely have a base gasket. The stuff is messy, but seals tight and holds well. This would boost your compression by not using a head gasket, but make sure there is no piston contact. Sanding first to even the surfaces of both the head and cylinder is great advice too. If you replace the studs with good ones, torque to 12 ft lbs.

I have never had to deal with bgf for anything customer service related, other than when i sent him an e-mail looking for a black 66 c.c. slant head.
he replied right away and said that he had then, but he just didn't have them listed.
I haven't had any problems with bgf at all.

Back