Brakes engine kit on a bike with disk brakes

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by motorbike-scubaguy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. motorbike-scubaguy

motorbike-scubaguy New Member

Hello, I'm not sure if there is a post about this or if I'm posting in the right section, but I am wondering if it is possable to mount an engine kit on a bike with front and rear disk brakes and roters, my kit has the sproket that mounts to the spokes and is rather big. Has anyone done this,and if so can you post pics? thanks.

2. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

The rear sprocket mounted in the spokes would get in the way of the rear disc brake. If you want rear disc brakes you would need to fit a jackshaft kit. A jackshaft kit makes your engine run off the standard chain and sprocket with the addition of a free spinning bottom bracket (so you can pedal independently of the engine). Your engine will have gears too which helps up hills and will give more top end speed.
  3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Get yourself a Sick Bike parts shift kit and be done with it. No more messing around with sprockets that bolt to the spokes, not to mention that you will have a full compliment of gears to push you up hills and motor along with sensible revs on the flat.

My bike has front and rear disk brakes and it's the only safe option.