Engine numbers?

GearNut

Local time
3:02 PM
Do HS or Honda engines have a factory number?
Before the shop I worked at closed it's doors for good and I became broke as a joke, I was planning on buying an EZ Motorbike trans and engine kit with an HS engine. I am still pondering a Honda engine too, but i digress...
Anyways, I do have an HT kit sitting on my bench and I want to install it into my bicycle seeing as I already have it and I cannot afford the 4-stroke kit.
My concern is when I go to title it I need to put down an engine number.
This concerns me as I do plan on eventually installing a 4-stroke kit in it in the future. Do the HS or Honda engines have a manufacture's serial number stamped on them? If they do, then I forsee a problem when I switch out power plants as the number on the engine I have now would not match the new engine's number.

Very Interesting...:geek:

I kinda sorta have the same question for possibly doing whatever it is that I need to do to go thru the DMV in Florida.

This should be an easy question to answer. :)

There going to want a bike and engine serial number,you could always stamp a number on the new engine that matches your old engine,or you could just register it twice,i don't think you want to do that.

Last edited:
I know. My bike has a serial number. It's the engine number that will change when I do an engine swap in the future. It obviously will not be the same number *if* the HS or Honda engines come with a factory stamped number. That is my concern. Do those engines come with such a number? I do not want the registration to come under fire if the popo ever want to mess with me.
I have no knowledge of an official number change form available for MB's like they do for motorcycles.

The honda has a serial #, its not a VIN of course. My Titan/hs I cant easily locate one.

Darn! That pretty much rules out a honda in it's future then.
I wonder if a cop would understand if I told him/ her that the original engine blew up and I put a new one in it?

Darn! That pretty much rules out a honda in it's future then.
I wonder if a cop would understand if I told him/ her that the original engine blew up and I put a new one in it?
Why...do you not know how many vehicles are on the road with different engine numbers (same VIN), due to having a rebuilt put in....Is Californaia more FU than I thought they are.

Well, concerning cars, no not really. When it comes to motorcycles, absolutely!
The way I see it, it must be difficult to visually see the numbers on a car's engine block. I say it this way because I do not know much concerning their placement.
I do know that the numbers on a motorcycle's engine are purposely placed to make it easy to read. Law enforcement regularly checks these numbers, even during routine traffic stops.
An MB is just a tiny version of a full fledged motorcycle. Considering this, what would stop an officer from routinely checking the engine numbers?
Call me paranoid if you wish to, but such concern arises from my knowledge gained from working on motorcycles for 27 years, 17 of them as a certified technician, 5 of them in the salvage industry.
I have been through almost all the legal aspects of registration and record keeping, including assessing positive identification and assisting lawful recovery of stolen motorcycles and components.

Edit: Kaliforgnia requires that any parts installed after a motorcycle's initial sale that are identified by a factory issued serial number must be reported to the DMV and the change is recorded on the vehicle's title and registration.

Such parts would include the frame, engine and transmission if seperate from the engine block. (most Harleys). Any discrepancy from the titled components can be justified as suitable reason for immediate impoundment of the vehicle and the arrest of the individuals involved for possession of stolen items. Now, if none of the questionable items are on a hot list, most of the time you will just be issued a fix-it ticket as officers do not want to deal with the piles pf paperwork involved with the aforementioned outcome.
Conclusion:
I have never, ever heard of a form providing the legal change of serial numbers on an MB. Sooooo This is my concern.
I do not want to build this bike up, knowing full well that I will be completely changing out the power train in the future and not have the ability to legally correct the serial numbers involved with the registration.
I don't wanna get stuck with my MB getting impounded and me charged with possession of stolen property. The wet eared Sheriffs around here are encouraged to do the mountains of paperwork involved because this is neighborhood considered a training ground for them, and they need the experience.

Last edited:
Hi Gearnut,

The HS & Honda motors do have serial numbers stamped into the crankcase.

They are stamped deep and would be difficult to avoid. They are stamped near where the case is sandwiched together.

Have fun,

Arrrrrrrrgh!
Thank you Quenton. Unfortunately, that is what I was afraid of.
Darn, darn, darn!
Do I build the Atlas with an HT engine I all ready have or wait.......

I'm going to crawl into a deep, dark hole somewhere and ponder this for a while.
I wanna build a new MB, darn it!

Kaliforgnia sucks........

Back