Engine on bicycle = MUCH safer!

thats because the real issue isn't the smog but control over your life... I have wondered the same thing. You would think they would welcome one less car using a fraction of the fuel... but the reality is that MB's are harder to regulate because of their nature and they don't like that.

Well, I guess if I think about it, the laws in California aren't too bad. I've already sent out for my license plate but had it returned in 3 weeks because I forgot to sign the signature. Boy was I mad at myself. I don't agree with the 2 hp limit though. The 30 mph top speed is more than resonable. The M2 is the problem that I'm faced with as I don't have a motorcycle.

Well, I guess if I think about it, the laws in California aren't too bad. I've already sent out for my license plate but had it returned in 3 weeks because I forgot to sign the signature. Boy was I mad at myself. I don't agree with the 2 hp limit though. The 30 mph top speed is more than resonable. The M2 is the problem that I'm faced with as I don't have a motorcycle.

exactly... see all the stuff you had to do to get your MB approved by the state. Something that you should be able to just build and ride without having to acquire somebody else's approval. And even if you do get the approval there are limits and boundaries on what you can and can't do. I say if you want to built one of these things you should be able to build it and ride how you want. Think about it....

Seriously they have caused you to be upset with yourself and added one more thing in YOUR life to worry about... and they have us trained to think "it's not too bad"?

Last edited:
VTEC, I agree with you on the freedom thing.

However, the problem with that is there are a lot of people out there who will abuse their previledges at the first opportunity. Being in Socal with millions of different people, I can guarantee you that! For example, as soon as I told my biking friends I was going to get a motorized bike, I got at least several stories of them seeing MB riders on bike paths and nearly colliding with other people who share the paths. It is the same thing that has happened in San Francisco when the Segway became popular and people on Segways were riding on sidewalks at speeds that were a danger to others and ended up having accidents, forcing the city to pass tough legislation against the use of Segways on sidewalks. It is also the same reason why parking lots have signs that say, "no skateboarding or bicycles allowed" because people, not just young kids, would go and ride their skateboards/BMX Bikes and do tricks in parking lots when there are other vehicles and pedestrians about, causing a danger to them.

My point is, most people are unable to handle complete freedom to do anything. That's because most people are, by nature, self-absorbed and selfish and are unable to think and/or care about the wellbeing of others. It's sad but true. Look around you! If you drive a car during rush hour you can see it in complete Living Color everyday. I'm not saying all MB operators are selfish and self-absorbed. I'm saying there will be enough of them who are and WILL eventually force legislation on MB's.

VTEC, I agree with you on the freedom thing.

However, the problem with that is there are a lot of people out there who will abuse their previledges at the first opportunity. Being in Socal with millions of different people, I can guarantee you that! For example, as soon as I told my biking friends I was going to get a motorized bike, I got at least several stories of them seeing MB riders on bike paths and nearly colliding with other people who share the paths. It is the same thing that has happened in San Francisco when the Segway became popular and people on Segways were riding on sidewalks at speeds that were a danger to others and ended up having accidents, forcing the city to pass tough legislation against the use of Segways on sidewalks. It is also the same reason why parking lots have signs that say, "no skateboarding or bicycles allowed" because people, not just young kids, would go and ride their skateboards/BMX Bikes and do tricks in parking lots when there are other vehicles and pedestrians about, causing a danger to them.

My point is, most people are unable to handle complete freedom to do anything. That's because most people are, by nature, self-absorbed and selfish and are unable to think and/or care about the wellbeing of others. It's sad but true. Look around you! If you drive a car during rush hour you can see it in complete Living Color everyday. I'm not saying all MB operators are selfish and self-absorbed. I'm saying there will be enough of them who are and WILL eventually force legislation on MB's.

Yep I agree that definitely seems to be the problem. But do you think people are naturally idiotic and selfish... or is it because of all the laws we have and when something comes up that isn't regulated to death people go crazy? Kind of like when really strict parents go out of town and leave their kids home alone...

I guess it then becomes a chicken and egg circular argument... what i am saying is that if you over-regulate people they lose the ability to regulate themselves. Structure determines behavior!!

Last edited:
VTEC, I can only speak of vehicle codes. As much as I know about State Laws, you must first violate a vehicle code to get a citation. If a vehicle code is vague, it is then subject to the interpretation of the courts (not the cops). The problem is, courts and cops are inconsistent about MB laws simply because the vehicle code for them is vague. I believe this is what you are referring to as "going crazy" or can be described as going around and around. This is true of many legislative laws. So, in order to eliminate the confusion, legislation is passed to get rid of the vagueness in the code. For example, Tucson is probably one of the hotspots for MB's thanks to Spooky Tooth and the proliferation of young people riding MB's in Tucson. But the cops and the courts could not decide if MB's are illegal or not, or are mopeds and thus require registration, a license to operate, and insurance, or whether it is a bicycle. So, Tucson passed legislation that was MB-specific to prevent the previous confusion/going crazy state you describe.

Are people naturaly idiotic and selfish? I think they are naturally selfish. Idiotic, sometimes. For example, there are many people who keep smoking even though they know it turns their lungs into a burnt forest. There are also people who drink and drive even though they know they can die and kill others when they do. Why on Earth would people do this even when they know what the consequences are? Because they are selfish and idiotic.

With great freedom comes great responsibility. If we are all free to ride our MB anyway we please, it is also our responsibility not to put others in danger for the sake of our fun and pleasure. Unfortunately, there are enough people out there who believe it is their right to do whatever they want whenever they want anyway they want--like spoiled children! The laws are passed for them.

I am here to ride my motorized bicycle.

I am color blind when dealing with motorists.

They're ALL dangerous and I try to stay out of their way.

I hope I've learned a lesson from you NOT to yell at drivers.

They can always circle the block and come after me...

as they did for you.:sick:

Znsane,

Glad you made it out of there ok! I'm glad you started this thread because I can see it going somewhere productive.

Not going to far off topic and not wanting to start a religious firestorm here. There's a story in the bible of the tower of babble. I just wanted to mention it, incase somebody out there had an old bible arround that they have not opened in a while.

The story tells tale of a time when all colors were together in one place and getting along too well. King Nimrod had a tower constructed inorder to get closer to the stars for viewing so as to predict the future. This happened in a time before Moses and even before Noah I believe. God got upset that man was looking to the stars rather than him for answers. God destroyed the tower and scattered man (by his color) amongst the globe. As added punishment and to see we didn't get together for a long time, he confused our speach.

The world is changing through the internet! Were comming back together again now. I've conducted business transactions on e-bay with Germans... Niether spoke a word of the others language, we used online translation sites!

Our Government tries to create racial problems. They know if we all stuck together for one day we could reek havoc. Divided we are easily controlled.

To those who may be offended by my outline of a story, your free because you live in America, don't read it if it bothers you, however you should not deprive others who may benefit. I'm sure some NIMROD will write a BABBLING letter to one of the mods, but at least everybody will know where the words came from now.

Are people naturaly idiotic and selfish? I think they are naturally selfish. Idiotic, sometimes. For example, there are many people who keep smoking even though they know it turns their lungs into a burnt forest. There are also people who drink and drive even though they know they can die and kill others when they do. Why on Earth would people do this even when they know what the consequences are? Because they are selfish and idiotic.

I don't think it's about being selfish and idiotic, so much as thinking "It won't happen to me". Seems to be a lot of it with the drinking and driving, at any rate.

-Mark

post #33 and post #35

RE: Post numbers above by OCLandspeeder-in consideration of bandwidth rather than quoting in entirety.

Great entries there, back on topic and well written! Really good and refreshing to see this quality of level-headed posting.

I'm a "racist" Comes as the direct result of living amongst and interacting with people who drive red cars. I see a red car, I automatically start thinking "Gotta watch out for that one!"

Back