Engine runs and then stops

ccarp55

Local time
3:50 AM
I finished installing my 2-stroke engine kit I got off ebay and I'm having some trouble firing up the engine and riding for an extended period of time. After I had no success starting the bike up last night, I re-wired it so the green and white wires were grounded. After that, the bike actually fired up and I rode it for about 15 seconds until the engine stopped running. I still heard the engine revving when I throttled, but it didnt power the bike at all. Today, I had no luck starting the bike until I tightened the spark plug, which gave me a few good 30-45 second rides until the engine died again. I am pretty sure that a few tweaks to the carburetor or spark plug will do the trick. If anyone else has had this problem where the bike will ride for about 10-30 seconds and then the engine sputters and stops working, what did you do to fix it? Also, what does the idle screw do, how important is it, and how tight should it be? Where should the choke switch be?

Ok I'll try that today I have had the choke lever about halfway. How tight should the idle screw be?

Eh, it depends... You have to listen to your idle and find a sweet spot that you like. Plus if your idling too low you engine will die. So tighten it up a turn... couldn't hurt.

Bike works

Thanks a lot the bike works great now that I have the choke lever all the way down and the idle is a little tighter. This was my first ever build so I'm very happy to have this thing running. I never thought it would be so much fun zooming around like that

Back