engine seized?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Zesty, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Zesty

Zesty New Member

Howdy all,
    I was riding home from today when all of a sudden the back wheel locked up, thought something must have got caught in my spokes or something, but to my surprise the wheel wouldn't move at all (even with the clutch in) had to carry it all the way back to work. Well needless to say I'm still ****ed off considering its the 3rd time iv even ridden it. Anyone know its its fixable or just a paper weight ready to be shipped back?
    Also sorry about the lack of posting been extremely busy trying to find a house etc.
    Cheers,
    Dylan.

2. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

If the engine was seized, the back wheel would still turn with the clutch pulled in.
    Sounds more like the chain has jammed.
    Start by removing the countershaft cover for a look-see.

3. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

yes, if you squeeze the clutch in, if the motor is seized, the rear wheel would still turn. The clutch would allow the chain and sprockets to turn and not be "connected" to the engine at all.
    Maybe your rear wheel bearings are toast, or like steve said, maybe the chain is jammed up under the front cover?
    I would take the engine chain off, and see if you can spin the rear wheel.
    if you can't spin the wheel with the chain off then your problem is in your rear wheel. if you can spin the wheel with the chain off, then i would look at the chain where it goes to the engine sprocket. if you have too much slack in your chain, it can jump off the sprocket and get jammed between the sprocket and the cover.
    you are running gas/oil mix in it right? what is your gas/oil ratio?

4. retromike3

retromike3 Member

Did the same thing to me for two separate reasons

First time it happened to me was after I had put about thirty miles on my bike and I was going under a tunnel and chink! rear wheel locks up. I was going about forty five at the end of a long down hill stretch and my chain tension wheel let go. turns out if you have a bit of slack in your chain around the drive sprocket it will get bunched up very close to the bottom of the sprocket and the opening. I don't use a roller now I changed my motor mounts and shortened my chain so I don't need one now.

Second time was after I had rebuilt the engine and turned out that I did not replace the little spring clip on the connecting rood well enough because after about two mikes the engine just froze. After I took it apart there was damage to the cylinder wall and piston, looked like it tried to eat itself . Fortunately these little motors are pretty cheep so I picked up a better one for about ninety bucks.(I am still using it now).

Mike Frye

5. Bobbyoutback

Bobbyoutback Member

Yep ' you got a chain bunch up on the front drive spoked , just take off the cover and use a screw driver to free it .

**** design to allow this to happen ! I have fixed my bikes by bolting a small wedge into the corner where it happens ..

Bob.

6. AussieSteve

If the chain has bunched up, it's an indication that it's a bit too loose.
    A tight chain shouldn't have enough slack to allow it to happen.
    If your chain was tight, if it was poorly aligned it might have tried to climb the side of the sprocket, causing it to lock. (In this case, rolling it backwards with the clutch in would probably free it.)

Another point - always carry long-nose pliers to remove the chain if something does go wrong. It's easier to pedal with the chain off and avoids 'carrying' the rear wheel.

7. Bobbyoutback

Bobbyoutback Member

Tight chains that aren't in near perfect alignment will cause Drama .

Good spring tensioners stop this .

Bob.

8. AussieSteve

The best fix for all of the chain problems is a shift kit and no LHS drive chain at all.
    Best thing I've done so far. Now I can relax on a ride.

9. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

I don't have a chain tensioner on my bike, and i never had one. My chain has never come off, and i have never had any problems with it.
    yes, i am using the stock chain that came with the kit. i spent some time on the chain itself making sure that all of the rollers were free, loose, and lubed. i used a lube spray that has teflon in it, and then carefully greased each individual roller. I actually worked every link and roller of that chain by hand until it was loosened up. when these chains are new, they are very stiff and tight.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  10. Zesty

Zesty New Member

thanks all,
    AussieSteve great detective work there ;)

11. Malanca

Malanca Member

I kinda have the same problem. I took off the cover chain doesn't seem to be jammed. still nothing.

12. Malanca

Malanca Member

ps. i can load a few photos if it would be more helpful. it seems to be something inside. maybe the bearing? the chain wont seem to budge at all.

13. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Pictures say a thousand words, or so I have been told.......

14. Malanca

Malanca Member

This is my bike. been riding since late may. been doin small type maintenance on it. nothing too big up until now.
    [​IMG]

well this is the part that wont move. doesn't seem to have any type of bind or tangle in it. it just wont move at all. I tried pulling the clutch cable a bit farther back and still nothing.
    [​IMG]

well I took it to a biking event i pedaled for maybe an hour to get there. by the time i got to the event it was getting harder to pedal when i had the clutch chilling with the lock on it. I then began to ride the bike holding in the clutch the whole time. I did this for about 2 hours maybe. till finally it became difficult to ride. it started to feel like when i first arrived to the event..till finally the back wheel decided not to move anymore.:confused::detective:

15. just a thought

can you pedal the bike with the engine drive chain removed?? will the rear tire spin with the engine drive chain removed??

16. Malanca

Malanca Member

yeah it'll move. but not with that chain on.

17. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Remove the gear case cover and let us know what you find, or post a picture of it.

18. Malanca

Malanca Member

well i removed it and when i work the clutch only the bottom left side of this picture moves. and i found this build up of this black fuzz. I'm guessin thats from the pad inside?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  19. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Yes, the black fuzz is from the friction pads.
    Things in there look awefully dry. How often have you greased the gears?

Next step:
    Re-install the sprocket cover and reconnect the clutch cable to the release arm.
    With the clutch lever squeezed in, the inner part of the clutch should be able to spin when you roll the rear wheel.
    The outer part with the gear teeth should not move.
    Try it and let us know what happens.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  20. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Also, the outer clutch plate should move out about 1.5mm when you squeese in the hand lever, and move back in when you release the hand lever. Does it?