Engine shuts off after short time running

noahindisguise

Local time
4:55 PM
Hey guys, I run a 49cc engine on a cruiser frame. I'm using pennzoil 2 stroke oil 32:1. I had a fouling problem with the spark plug the other week but when I changed the gap it turned out to be fine. The gap was set around .20-.22 and it was very powerful. When I would pull the clutch in coming to a stop the engine would rev very high and I'm not sure why, it sounded like it was going to explode lol. I just changed the fuel filter and drained the carb too. When riding the engine was very hot and wouldn't start up after about 15 minutes of riding. At idle it stutters and it didn't previously. I'm unsure what the problem is because when I got the bike it was running perfectly. I keep thinking it's the oil/fuel ratio but I'm unsure. I'm new to the 2 stroke engine and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sounds a little to me like a lean fuel/air mixture.
Double-check for air leaks at the intake, either where it mounts to the barrel or where it fits the carb.

I agree w/aussie, but also make sure that the needle is set up correctly on the end of the throtle cable. The directions included w/these kits can be misleading and cause the needle to free-float when the throttle is released if not properly set up.

Look at these real close!!! It took me a few times because the directions were screwy! This will help a lot of people if somebody could convert it!

Right now, I've got everything in Word format and the file is too big to post here. PM me your e-mail address.

One of the mods who know more about file conversion should e-mail me also.

I've got a great carb tutorial if you guy's could figure out how to resize it!

Attachments

• carb1.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 288
  • carb2.doc
    55.5 KB · Views: 227
Ah, the air filter needs changing. Looks like the rubber on it has been eaten away. Where could I find a replacement filter? Would any auto parts store have them or should I find a motorcycle store?

Most HT kit suppliers should be able to sell you an air filter. That won't be causing your problem, though. It'll be on the secondary side of the carb, if it's caused by an air leak.

problem is not the filter, agreed!

check your carb slide, needle assembly

Here's the third part with my last above post, can't believe I got it to work.

Attachments

• carb assmb.JPG
    carb assmb.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 242
Air Filter

Hey guys, I was wondering where I could find an air filter for my chinese 49cc engine? I'm not sure what mm it is, but it looks like a simple part to find. Also, are there any type of performance filters out there?

high rev when clutch in

Hey guys, I recently put a new fuel filter on, a small one from advance auto parts and my previous one was a car sized filter. Now, when I come to a stop and put the clutch in, the engine revs crazily high and it sounds like the whole engine will explode. I'm unsure if this is because of the new filter or what. Any help is appreciated.

Back