Engine Size - BoyGoFast 80cc Really?

probably closer to 67-point-something cc's

KNOWING the displacement is NOT 80cc's, i still wonder why that lie keeps going....

Last edited:
There is 48cc engine, 60cc engines and 70cc engines. 80cc's are really 70cc's (or 67cc or so)

BSA

probably closer to 67-point-something cc's

KNOWING the displacement is NOT 80cc's, i still wonder why that lie keeps going....

The "lie" keeps going because there are many people who do not know that there is no 80cc engine. So if you are an average Joe, one who never visited a MB forum, and you are searching eBay for an engine kit and you see a 67cc kit going for the same price as an "80cc" kit - which one would you buy? Some vendors do advertise "80cc" but explain that the engines are really 67cc in the description. It probably started years ago when an unscrupulous vendor decided he needed an "edge" on the competition, so he decided to add the 12cc chamber volume to the swept volume to come up with "80cc engine capacity". Then it went downhill from there.

At least we know one thing for sure, an "80cc" kit is the largest HT kit you can buy. So it's not like there is a real 75cc kit out there.

The "lie" keeps going because there are many people who do not know that there is no 80cc engine. So if you are an average Joe, one who never visited a MB forum, and you are searching eBay for an engine kit and you see a 67cc kit going for the same price as an "80cc" kit - which one would you buy? Some vendors do advertise "80cc" but explain that the engines are really 67cc in the description. It probably started years ago when an unscrupulous vendor decided he needed an "edge" on the competition, so he decided to add the 12cc chamber volume to the swept volume to come up with "80cc engine capacity". Then it went downhill from there.

At least we know one thing for sure, an "80cc" kit is the largest HT kit you can buy. So it's not like there is a real 75cc kit out there.

---

thank you all for the clarification.
I was an average joe and did think I was buying an 80cc engine.
I now know I have a 67cc which is okay too.

-steve

I agree. It is in fact around 67cc. Thats what I am using. It gets my fat @$$ up most hills :D

I just got done with my Kulana Moon Dog with BGF 80cc kit. It fired up within 10 feet, and runs great. It does have pretty good pull and I doubt I will have any problems with the hills round here. I need to buy a speedometer and headlight, as I don't know how fast I am going. I estimate about 15mph with the engine putting along at a leisurely pace with the throttle cracked about 1/4 open. I really don't plan on driving much faster, since it is already going faster than I could pedal for any length of time! I doubt this engine will give me problems since I used loctite on the head studs, replaced the acorn nuts with metric nuts and used copper crush washers under the nuts. I also went over every screw on this thing and used threadlocker on everything. I love it and don't care if it is 67cc or 80cc because it is 100% fun!

Still have my powerkingshop "80cc" engine that needs a bike!

Back