Engine starts, then poops out on me

(Ian)

Local time
2:10 PM
When I run it downhill it's great and I can tell it's accelerating, but when at the bottom hill it sputters out and stops. On even ground/uphill throttle revs the motor but doesn't make me accelerate, and sputters out like before. First bike. Using upgraded air filter. Tried using the standard air filter but this made it worse.

What dose the spark plug look like.
Wet, Dry, Color,

What do you have the plug gap set to?

Sounds to me like it's possible you have a bad coil.
With a week coil the OHM's will read correct on a meter but during runing the coil is shorting out.

I have had this problem in he past and found the tiny ground lead coming from the coil to the metal plates had a small crack in it and was shorting out.

Pull the plug and put in a new one with a very small gap.
Like .015 which is smaller than you want it to be.

If it runs better...not perfect but better that would be my first guess.

Tell me about the sparkplug and we may have more clues.

of corse it will run good going down hill. you have all the momentum "pushing" the motor to accelerate (the wheel starts to push the chain around the engine sprocket, rather than the engine pulling the chain around the wheel sprocket).
it sounds to me like a fuel problem....either a plugged up screen in the tank, a kink in the fuel line, or a misadjusted float. sounds like the carb is running out of gas.
no acceleration (forward movement of you and the bike) on flat ground when you give it throttle, could just be that the clutch is out of adjustment.
if the engine revs (like you say it does) and you do not move...the clutch is slipping. that's the only possible answer for that scenario... unless you are trying to ride it with the clutch disengaged. (clutch handle squeezed in)

Last edited:
I have seen alot of slipping clutches.

And the fule thing is possible but i would expect it would pull for a breif moment until the carb bowl ran dry of gas.

Either way a quick look at the Sparkplug will tell alot.

Thanks for your replies. It could be the clutch slipping... Not the fuel line, there's plenty of fuel in the carb bowl. How do I fix it?

What do you mean by clutch slipping, actually? My clutch feels pretty tight. With it stopped and disengaged, I can barely push it...barely. I am able to and it makes the engine puff. Kind of not mechanically experienced.

As for the spark plug it's the default one that came with my Grubee engine.

I figured I'd just keep riding and see if it'd kick in. No luck. Actually, when I do down the same hill it turned over for the first time, it doesn't accelerate anymore.

Its the coil.
Or it's wired wrong.
Check it with a voltmeter.
Should have between 325 and 350 ohms resistance between the black wire= ground and blue wire = Hot off the coil.

Other than that id be looking at the kill switch.

And i mean if you try to start the motor. Then take out the spark plug.
Is it wet ???

Back