Engine test on old frame

Hi, thought I would share with you the test rig I set up to test an engine out I recently built up.
Just used an old road bike frame & found I could start the engine by just manually turning the rear wheel with the clutch already engaged so I did not need chainwheel/chain or clutch lever/cable which I have since removed.
Thought it would also be a good way to run in new engines without having to go out on the roads at low speeds.

Attachments

• 20160602_101124.jpg
    20160602_101124.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 381
That's pretty neat. what kind of repair stand is that? I've been lookin for a good one that'll hold the weight of a MB lol.

Anyone done something like this as a dyno?
Loading up the back wheel with a fan or generator or inertial weight and some sort of sensors to record RPM vs time would give a comparable HP curve.

Steve

Stand is just a regular bicycle repair stand that I use to repair my push bikes.
Weight ain't an issue as there is only the frame,rear wheel,gas tank with small amount of gas,engine & exhaust.
Reason I did it was to enable me to see if a repaired engine was a runner b4 I spent valuble time in fitting it to my proper bike only to find more problems!

Back