Engines for a possible new build

shinjinian

Local time
8:42 PM
Has anyone ever tried mounting a pocket bike engine on a bike? I'm considering getting a pocket bike engine for my next build. I was looking at this http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/Engine_49cc_2_Stroke_High_Performance_p/cgen302226.htm and it seems like it's higher quality than my 66cc skyhawk engine and if the site is correct it puts out twice the power. I was also thinking I might go 4 stroke instead for my next build (it's quieter and easier to gas) so I was considering this engine http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/Engine_110cc_4_Stroke_Manual_p/fsen301902.htm though it's a little big so it might take some ingenuity to make it work. What do you guys think?

Anything can be done but what does it take? Those engines seem to be designed for a frame w/o a down tube, The length of them is problematic to fit in a v configuration especially with the tranny directly behind the motor. Just doesn't seem to work on most bicycles. I'm sure it's been done but at what cost. MABs to me need to save money/be economical and simple. I just don't see it as practical.

If it comes down to it I can borrow or buy a welder and weld up a frame out of steel tubes, it would be cool to do a build based on a bagger motorcycle. Maybe it's just me but it seems like the first engine is higher quality than most of the other 49cc engine out there and I found it for as low as $130. As for the second engine I really like because it's 4 stroke and it's kick start (it's also electric start for when I'm feeling lazy).

Well after seeing that 110cc 4 stroke in a pocket bike I've decided that if it could fit in a cramped little toy it could fit on a bike. I've asked an ebay seller for dimensions on it and I'm going to order it when I get the money and make it work. I'll probably end up selling my current build to fund it.

The China girl 66cc 2 stroke has a built i gear reduction of 4:1, so no jack shaft is required. The 49cc Huasheng 4 stroke kits include a reduction gear box, so no jackshaft is required.
- An engine like the one in your link has no gear reduction, and therefore will require a jack shaft. its doable, but a lot more work.

True. Well if I'm going to do a custom frame I might as well do a jackshaft while I'm at it. Though I'm considering just getting a nice old Honda motorcycle, older ones can be had for under 1k in decent condition which would probably be a lot cheaper then me having my way with a custom motorbike build.

If it comes down to it I can borrow or buy a welder and weld up a frame out of steel tubes, it would be cool to do a build based on a bagger motorcycle. Maybe it's just me but it seems like the first engine is higher quality than most of the other 49cc engine out there and I found it for as low as $130. As for the second engine I really like because it's 4 stroke and it's kick start (it's also electric start for when I'm feeling lazy).

you can't just borrow or buy a welder and expect to be able to put together a motorbike frame. I've been welding for over a year and wouldn't trust myself with that kind of project

You've got a point there. Like I said I'm probably just gonna get an old Honda motorcycle since motorized bikes aren't legal in NY and living in NYC I'm pretty much guaranteed to be given trouble or tickets by the cops.

Back