ETEK Electric Motors

that video is funny, an e-bike in a bike race... some of the other riders had to take a second look :)

I have bicycle trike powered by two etek motors , one for each rear wheels.lol

Fella on Endless Sphere has just built a etek powered recumbent trike, previously he had it mounted on his mountain bike...heres a few pics and video clip

100_4166.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

YouTube Video

Hes still working on perfecting the battery instal/setup...thing will absolutely **** when done though...i want to do a delta trike with a Etek motor and peerless diff next, wheel spining wheelstanding powerz hehehe

Dont mean to bring back a old thread...

but I rode that trike and it is scary fast....awesomely fast... dangerously fast with the etek and lithium setup. Remember that the etek combo usually goes on electric motorcycles ie bicycles with bigger stronger frames and bigger stronger brakes... also a good idea once you start going over 45 all the time. You will want motorcycle components after you go that big.

That is a great build!

I've got that same trike that will be recieving 12,500 watts of twin RC motored bliss.

I will start a thread on it soon.

I am also supplying VRDub (the owner of that trike) with an RC drive.

Trikes RULE!

Matt

Trikes RULE!

Indeed they do Matt but these ones look like they is going in reverse to me...tiz all back-to-front mate whats with that? :p

Look forward to seeing your trike build Matt will surely be mechanical Pr0n like all your other efforts...best of luck mate :)

KiM

p.s my CNC mill is coming along nicely i should be able to crank some reduction drives out myself quite soon :)

B & S Etek

Those are great motors but are no longer made. B&S is suppose to be workin g on a replacement that is suppose to be an improvement. From what I hear thier only limit is with the batteries most people that use them or thierclones use gel batteries (read optima)stay away from SLA's do a search on the internet for B&S ETEK MOTORS AND You will find some really good info. I purchased a book from one of the sites that search produced that is a detailed how to build a electric chopper. I am impressed with what I've read and will be using the New version of the ETECK on that build.

Those are great motors but are no longer made. B&S is suppose to be workin g on a replacement that is suppose to be an improvement. From what I hear thier only limit is with the batteries most people that use them or thierclones use gel batteries (read optima)stay away from SLA's do a search on the internet for B&S ETEK MOTORS AND You will find some really good info. I purchased a book from one of the sites that search produced that is a detailed how to build a electric chopper. I am impressed with what I've read and will be using the New version of the ETECK on that build.

Uhmmm...there has been an ETek clone out for sometime now it is heavier than the original ETek. You can also get them in two model one with increased torque one with higher rpm. SLAs work fine on ETeks seen many a people use them on the motors no idea about GEL based batteries SLA=Sealed Lead Acid, my mate FrankG from workshop.ca uses GEL batteries on his e-Suzuki RM125 and has no problem with them....of course if you have the dollars some high end Lifep04s would be ideal (not the crappy duct tape ebay Lifep04s either ). Cost is around 500 bucks for the replica plus delivery Kelly Controllers sell them as do Robotmarket place and ebay. If your building an electric MOTORCYCLE chopper i strongly suggest you look into the Agni motors for it they are superior to the Eteks in every way, except price.

KiM

Last edited:
I like the Lynch/Agni motors design.

Their motor has an incredible 93% peak efficiency and their pancake design allows for a 50 rpm/volt power generation number which is very hard to do with the conventional iron core design.

One idea that I'd like to try is to build a pancake style motor (from scratch) that is built into the front chainring. That way you could integrate the motor and the pedal power more easily.

I'm not a big fan of the severe geardowns that are required with these micro sized RC motors... though I can see their value. (in part I'm frustrated by my lack of high tech machining hardware)

It still seems like there are no:

Cheap
Reliable
High Efficiency
Brushed
Low Rpm/Volt

...motors that are available to use for ebikes.

One of these days this will get sorted out, but for now we are are sort of stuck with less than ideal solutions.

Back