EVIL -really??

If you really want something to mentally chew ..The Toyota Prius is actually a WORSE polluter than most average cars if you factor in the production of the Lithium Ion Batteries. And to make matters worse most people drive them like sports cars totally negating any hybrid benefits whatsoever.

I think you have to look at it as another car off the road. Less wear and tear on the roads, no parking blues, little chance of injuring others, it's not just about the emissions. I dunno how the ht 2 strokes compare but I would imagine 10% of a cars emissions? And I think burgers produce more greenhouse gasses. Cow farts :sick:

If you're feeling evil you could go the synthetic route, I've never run 2 stroke but I know there are some crazy oils that burn very clean.

What really bleeps me is our government (I'm in Australia) wanting to have x amount of electric vehicles on our roads in the next ten years when 95% of our electricity comes from burning coal. Sure they throw a couple of mil at alternative energy ideas just to shut up the greenies but long term planning?

I seriously thought long and hard about buying an electric set up for my bike, but the technology is not quite there and the price is still out of my reach. I would love to support the industry but not just to burn more coal!!!

I guess for us the better engines are the robin subaru and honda micro 4 strokes with their minimal emissions. And I hear the pure-fires are almost/just as good.

Keep on riding! :D:D:D

Evil? Nah. Heck, I was out testing my newly installed GEBE and I guy running an old Mercedes running on bio-diesel wanted to know more about my bike. He liked that it got over 150mpg. I don't see where people say these bikes are all that bad. (except for maybe a couple 2-strokers that mixed their old wrong)

2 strokes are said to pollute as bad as 90x a Dodge Durango.

Just because you use only a little gas/oil, doesn't make it 'green'. They are seriously bad for the environment.

Calling you evil isn't really correct, but if you knowingly ride a 2 stroke and don't care - you are an ***.

2 strokes are said to pollute as bad as 90x a Dodge Durango.

Just because you use only a little gas/oil, doesn't make it 'green'. They are seriously bad for the environment.

Calling you evil isn't really correct, but if you knowingly ride a 2 stroke and don't care - you are an ***.
"Said" by whom?

Care to cite some support for that claim" While you are at it, define "pollution".

I posted the link in a new topic on this forum.

Pollution, as in particulates that cause health problems, smog...

I'm not an expert on the subject, but from what I hear, 2 strokes are very unhealthy. I feel the same about any older motorcycle, those things destroy the air in front me when one passes, for over a 1/4mile.

Okay, I just read that a 2 cycle creates 3x time the carbon monoxide as a car - 2nd post down...
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=24998

Comparing to electrics.... how much pollution does the manufacture of 8lbs of lithium batteries (20,000 mile life), and $5 in electricity to charge them for that distance) cause? I really don't know, but it can't be much.

Last edited:
"So that runs on veggie oil right?"

"No, it runs on the tears of the earth and the blood of clubbed baby seals"

idk if they're going to call you evil you might as well take it to the extreme

Funny. and yeah i hear ya!

Hi veloman

You said: "2 strokes are said to pollute as bad as 90x a Dodge Durango.

Just because you use only a little gas/oil, doesn't make it 'green'. They are seriously bad for the environment."

Now i feel that a response is necessary.
1) How damaging to the environment is my little 2-stroke compared to the BP oil spill.
2) Following the carbon trail, how much more carbon is required to manufacture a 4-stroke compared to a 2-stroke.
3) Which is more hazardous: 2-stroke particulates or diesel particulates?
4) Is battery power any more environmentally friendly than using internal combustion engines?

In ways, it sounds like you're clasping to your views from a focal point of ignorance.
Before making such statements, at very least, please research the start to end point of the carbon cycle manufacturing process.

Please don't get the impression i'm being aggressive - a few people on this site have kicked my backside into line for making foolish statements, which needed a corrective response.
Now i'm much more careful at researching the facts.

Fabian

Last edited:
Hi veloman

You said: "2 strokes are said to pollute as bad as 90x a Dodge Durango.

Just because you use only a little gas/oil, doesn't make it 'green'. They are seriously bad for the environment."

Now i feel that a response is necessary.
1) How damaging to the environment is my little 2-stroke compared to the BP oil spill.

Fabian

fabian... you live in Australia, why are you so obsessed over this oil spill??? It doesn't even directly affect you... in fact, subtract the wonder of modern media and I doubt you would have ever even known.... just like all the other oil catastrophes that have occurred over the span of your life?

what makes this one special???

This is the article that spurred me to comment on this forum:

http://ecomodder.com/blog/motorcycles-scooters-great-environment-wrong/

"In fact, it was the EPA that tested a Yamaha YZR R6 and found that it emitted 90 times more hydrocarbons than a Dodge Durango SUV. Hydrocarbons are the pollutants responsible for forming ozone and smog, which is both a serious health risk as well as an extreme eyesore."

Now, a small 2 stroke will use less fuel than a YZR R6 no doubt, but they are even less regulated and it is a known fact that 2 strokes are very dirty. I take it, from this forum, that that is still up for debate?

Have you ever breathed in your own exhuast, or had a landscaper running his weed wacker or leaf blower near you? You can't even breath!

I owned a Yamaha Zuma 2 stroke scooter a few years ago, and was embarrassed at how much blue smoke came out of it when I took off from a stoplight. Yeah it got 65mpg at 35mph, but it was dirty as heck.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm attacking anyone here. Next time I'll come up with more facts to back myself up. But I thought it was no question that 2 strokes polluted more heavily than autos..

Back