Example build

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by Sockmonkey, May 18, 2008.

1. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Guest

I've checked out a few builds (other than mine) and wonder why the owner/moderators don't choose a few good build examples to set up in a "Build Examples" forum.

These should be edited (down to just what is related to the build) and locked, and contain examples of different types of setups. Heck, a poll could be used to pick which builds should be included.

I feel this would be a great help to the MB community, and beginners (and even lookieloos).

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

I suppose we could do that, but it seems theres so many good builds that it would be tough to choose just a few. Do you mean creating some sort of instruction manual for installation?

3. It would be a bit of work,but doable. I guess we can look into engine mounts,gearing and such.
    as for me,though,pictures say a thousand words.

I like to save every pic that comes from here and save it in a folder. I use that folder to generate my desktop to change every minute.
    As of today,that folder has 946 pictures. I should have a thousand in a few days.

But I also see sometimes searching for what your looking for leaves you with many other threads you don't need so this is a pretty good idea.

4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Guest

Tom
    I don't think it needs to be as detailed as a true instruction manual, but more a series of overviews of different builds. I guess what I was thinking of was more an introduction to the "many" different ways to power bicycles.

As this forum isn't owned by a bike / kit company it is one of the few unbiased sources available to a potential motored biker.

5. Tom

Tom Active Member

6. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Guest

Tom

That is a GREAT post. I had read some of it when I first found this site, but had forgot where it was. I remember, as a raw beginner who didn't have a clue what I was getting into, feeling it was both inspiring... and a bit overpowering!

What I was thinking about would be about 1/100th the amount of information contained in "The Crash Course..." and focused more on simple examples of how the different kinds of power systems are put together and how they work in real life; without all of the hype (not meant in a derogatory way) that the manufacturers and / or kit suppliers have on their web sites.

BTW, thanks for reminding me about TCC.. I spent the last hour checking out some of bikes that have been built by MB members, AMAZING!!! (and plan of going over the part about the different systems before my next build.)

7. Tom

Tom Active Member

Your suggestion is still a good idea. I think it would be nice to have some sort of overview for new members. I could put it on the message that is displayed to non-registered users, or have it included in the welcome message.

8. sparky

sparky Active Member

Thanks!

Thanks again!! It took me a LONG time to compile all that info... so long I've had to take a break for the past week or so from MBc. I had another 30 links and other tidbits to update it, but a friend of mine closed my window and I lost all of 'em since I couldn't update the guide.

Tom, could you not just disable the time limit on editing?? That way the Crash Course and all builds in the picture gallery could clean up their first post. Other posts could benefit from editing as well.

I think what you're after is dimensions and such (maybe?), which is one of the biggest holes in the Crash Course. Alaskavan suggested something like this be added, but I don't have a Happy Time, GXH50, Hua Sheng, or any other common engine.

9. KiDD

KiDD Member

10. crazygringo

crazygringo Member

making a "wiki how to" Good Idea!

making a "wiki how to" Good Idea!

11. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

May I add a suggestion for advanced MBikers, or newbies to, but some examples on basics of polishing the ports, tools required etc with pictures.
    I have read some on porting and polishing, it is a "art" type of thing or a develped skill, you need to understand what your doing, but these HT engines need some minor cast cleansing and polishing. a DIY basics would be beneficial.

12. sparky

sparky Active Member

It'd be WAY awesome if there were video tutorials for the builds & even advanced stuff like porting, etc. Like www.bicycletutor.com does for regular bike maintenance. WAY awesome.

13. TracyT

TracyT Member

Great link Sparky! Thanks!

I'm hoping to build a new MB this weekend (well, transfer my motor from one bike to another. If I remember I'll take pics all along the way and make a "Friction Mount Tutorial".

Tracy