Exhaust manifold loose at pipe connection.

K

Kep1a

I found my pipe wiggled side to side inside the aluminium manifold. It did not seem to leak (if it did I could not hear or otherwise detect it).

I found an Allen set screw in the underside of the manifold and tightened it. No more wiggle. I'm just unsure if there is a procedure to follow when tightening this. How tight to tighten it, on or off the bike, remove and reinsert before re-tightening etc.

Is there an underlying problem that is indicated by this becoming loose?
Should I be looking for a cause?

Bike is doing great otherwise! Thanks ALL and especially Quenton!

PS: Fender tab broke last night. It seems every bike has the same exact deficiencies. I sure hope Whizzer is following and making changes in their product. I believe the light hanging on the back of the fender is why it requires a redesign with beefier materials. :whistle:

Have to check exaust stuff regularly. Sounds like no big deal because as steel expands and contracts(heats and cools) slop gets taken out of threads!

Thats what you do when you want to loosen a rusty bolt right? (Heat it)...

Keep an Eye on it but I think your ok!

This is typical and as was stated due to expansion/contraction from the heat. I marked, and "Dimpled", the pipe and threaded the set screw into this dimple with some lock-tite on the threads... Seemed to work somewhat- making the need for tightening less frequent

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks good to know I not alone with this issue.
Great idea Jim! I will get a longer set screw and jam nut.

Ken

Back