exhaust port

dylan

Local time
6:07 AM
i have no exhaust on my bike and there is sparks coming out of that port why is this happening

That's awsome! I have a brother that likes to rip the exhaust off everything he owns with a motor. At this point he has nothing that runs. Good luck.

if running engines without exhausts destroyed them, we wouldnt have aircraft...

spitfire, hurricane, focke wulfe, mustang, f4u corsair, virtually every damn fighter plane that used piston engines...

dragsters, hot rods, china motors...

the sparks are simply bits of incandescent carbon. flames? also simply incandescent carbon.

its burning stuff to make power...what do you expect to come out of the exhaust port? icecream, perhaps? or unicorn poo?

Headsmess, Then by all means, tear tours off and go to town. For me, I'll leave mine on. Personally I've never compared my ht motor to a race car or a fighter jet. You must be running something special.

Sometimes when I'm an hour on the bike, I kinda imagine myself to be in a WWI Bleriot or Farman over No-Man's-Land with the trucks and SUVs being the Hun, hunting me down. I try to stay focused, but sometimes I go there...

Nice to hear from you HS, and you are right of course, although these little engines don't do well with no exhaust, especially 2 strokes.

wondering if anyone here is confusing pipe with muffler and calling either "exhaust"

muffler isn't needed, a short piece of header pipe is needed

wondering if anyone here is confusing pipe with muffler and calling either "exhaust"

muffler isn't needed, a short piece of header pipe is needed
Same, a header is a particularly good idea on most engines, it's going to direct the exhaust where its supposed to go, and helps keep engine temps more even, if you don't use a header on one of our purely air cooled engines and that exhaust is on the side that gets the blunt of the air cooling then you can easily damage the cylinder through warping by having too much heat escape from one side, or so that's the theory.

Aircraft really don't need mufflers, there's no reason to attempt to quiet the engine, it's not operating close enough to the ground to be considered too loud. Pretty sure though I've seen headers on every piston driven aircraft engine, would they operate badly without them? Who knows, don't know of anyone who takes the exhausts off their airplane motor and kills themselves with carbon monoxide poisoning in their cabin.

I think it may be all up to motor design, if it's a naturally air cooled motor chances are you will want a header of a minimal size installed unless you want to chance warping it. Forced air cooled is a bit less likely to need a good header, but remember in that case the exhaust is probably helping to remove the excess heat from the engine area and leaving just enough that the fan can handle the rest. A water cooled system is probably the least affected by the header or lack of, but again the exhaust will be transporting the excess heat away from the motor, and leaving only what the cooling system is meant to handle, trapping too much heat in or around the surfaces of the engine will overwork the cooling system and all that leads to early failure.

As Steve mentioned, 2 strokes rely pretty heavily on exhaust design, you don't have to use anything spectacular, but not using anything will make it run far worse than having at least some kinda pipe.

outside of performace issues, there is just plain old "directing the smoke"

I run my cho-peds like the picture, in this case the main performance issue is clearing the ground.

I am considering making a tighter bend, and directing the pipe behind me, you really smell like a 2 cycle after riding these!

Attachments

• 2017-02-22 15.12.38.jpg
    2017-02-22 15.12.38.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 87
I think we are not addressing the biggest issue here. Have you looked at the front of your engine lately? I would want something on mine even if it made it run a little worse, which it doesn't. We don't have to deal with the crap on the streets at 30,000 ft.. Exhaust ports on aircraft don't face forward like a air scoop as they do on our bikes.

Back