Exhaust Exhaust silencers

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by darwin, Feb 17, 2013.

1. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

2. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

That clamp on size (1+5/16") is 1/2" too wide for the standard header pipe if you wanted to cut off the standard silencer to replace it, which I think would be a terrible decision. The stock silencer works fine.

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The standard silencer (with centre tube removed) on a standard engine works just fine.
    Attach 2.5 feet of high temperature, chemical resistant silicone hose to the muffler outlet and the exhaust will be virtually silent.

The next issue is trying to reduce the intake noise, which is substantial when the exhaust is virtually silent, under load.

4. davidtuerk

davidtuerk New Member

Where would be the best place to get the Silicone hose?

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

6. davidtuerk

davidtuerk New Member

Would heating hose work? And what temperatures should it be able to handle?

7. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The silicone hose i have on my bike has a specification of being heat resistant and chemical resistant; maintaining it's flexibility under those conditions.

Silicone hose seems to absorb noise particularly well.

8. determined

determined Member

but where do we buy it?

9. determined

determined Member

can you get this at an auto store?

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

No. You need to visit a specialty store that sells hosing/tubing for the medical or food production or petrochemical production industry.

The specifications you want are: 1/2 inch internal diameter (2.5 feet long), clear high temperature, chemical resistant, soft silicone hose. Just do a seach for this type of product online; finding a suitable supplier in your location.

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/Silicone-Tubing-comes-in-nearly-50-sizes-586414

11. mogogear

mogogear Member

Where the heck do you strap / hold / secure the 2.5' of silicone hose to? Your suggestion has my mental pictures going all crazy!! :confused:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  12. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I am curious about the motorcycles: $2000 for a 250cc and provided the buyer does the final assembly. Somebody has had to jump at that!

13. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member