Exhaust stud female threads on engine striped bc of vibration

midnightrider

Local time
6:02 AM
My exhaust stud like the description says the female hole on the engine is stripped(the threads) I know someone has already started this thread but I am unable to reach the hole straight on with a drill with out taking the whole engine off and im not sure how and dont want to break my engine by taking off the cylinder so i tighten down the bolt on the stud that is ok and then jb weld all around the muffler which works ok but i have to keep putting it on. is there a way i can weld my muffler right on there i dont think you can weld to aluminum but anything would help. i could probably use the muffler bracket for xtra support cuz i havent been using it but any help would be great.
Thanks,
Midnight Rider

If you keep letting it go loose, you'll eventually break your cylinder & have to get a new top end. The muffler bracket is essential to keep those threads from stripping out. One can sometimes just loosen the motor mounts a bit to lean the engine to the side to get a drill in there, but I'd rather pull it off to be sure of drilling really straight. JBweld is useless here, heli-coil some new threads in is best.

or is there a way or is this even a good idea to get a new cylinder? if their only like 8bucks the only problem is i dont know how to replace it ik how to take the top off but not the bottom and also would replacing it with a new one on an already broken in motor be a bad idea?

not necessarily a bad idea, but if you don't have the skills to do it, you should try to fix what you have

you might be able to just get away with jb welding the stud in place. if you replace the cylinder you should replace the rings too if you want the thing to run right. and while you're in there, the top end bearing is a common source of failure and putting a higher quality bearing in will improve the life of the engine

Back