Expansion chamber - muffler modification

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Arty, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Arty

Arty Active Member

I recently grafted a lawn mower type muffler to the end of my "Fat Cat" expansion chamber to quiet it down a bit. I also added a Phantom Bikes exhaust tip to the end of the muffler. It required cutting off the end tip of the expansion chamber, then welding in one half of a 1/2inch black iron pipe coupling, ground down to size. I grafted on a section of inch and a half exhaust tubing onto the end of the muffler, so that the Phantom Bikes exhaust tip could then be inserted into the end of the muffler.
    The pictures should be self explanatory.

Attached Files:

2. mogogear

mogogear Member

Very clean results. Any Noise and or performance changes?
  3. Arty

Arty Active Member

I haven't had a chance to ride it much since the mod., but on the short ride I did get in, I didn't really notice much change in performance, but the bike is a little quieter, and a bit more mellow sounding - not quite as "raspy" if that makes any sense.
    While I like the sound of a good running 2-stroke, for my bike I don't want it to be an annoyance for people around me - I don't need the extra attention it brings. I just want to have fun riding it.
  4. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I don't see any strapping or brackets to support your very cool muffler. That is asking a lot of those 2 exhaust studs.
  5. Arty

Arty Active Member

You're right. I'm in the process of building a proper muffler hanger.