Expansion Pipe question for 2 stroke 48cc.

geebt48cc

Local time
2:59 PM
So, I wonder if an expansion pipe would really give my 48cc grubee a little more torque up hills? Up small grades, I can average around 20mph, but not the best on good sized hills. Any ideas.................:cool:

Everything I read here indicates a definite improvement on overall power. Go for it, but use one that has a good silencer on the end of it.

I got one and I like it :D

I have a S.B.P. pipe and it makes a huge difference in the power and usefulness of my M.B. I can get around the suburbs quite well here with my little bike. Its a 65/80cc Zoom cycle and with this pipe the horsepower effectively doubled.

I do have problems with the motor though. It seems to want to have any part I bolt to the frame rattle off and I am constantly retorcking the head bolts. but it seems to work pretty well.

Mike Frye

Expansion pipe question for 2 stroke 48cc

I'm running two of the same engines Mike, and I know there's a lot of vibration but I think that's true with any of the two strokes. Rubber padding on the engine mounts helped a little and I use blue locktite and lock washers on everything sometimes double nutting to be sure. Nylock nuts seem to work well too but I wonder about the heat on the engine.
Now if I could only find a way to seriously reduce the vibration to ME. Bone shakers is what I'd call em.

Expansion chamber great addition...you will notice the difference inmmediately in low and midrange power...But, like the Professor says..DO NOT FORGET THE SILENCER..SBP has got a good kit! Ive taken mine off temporarily to give my neighborhood a break.....until I figure out a better muffler!

how loud is loud?

Grated these little engines make a bit of noise but I have not noticed that much of an increase in the db rate with the expansion pipe. I do remember when my old exhaust pipe rattled off about three blocks from home and I got quite a few complaints, man was that loud. For me personally it does not seem as loud because the end of the pipe is farther away from me than the stock pipe and I kind of like that noise.:cool:

Mike Frye

Mike, yes I understand....................So, would you go with the expansion chamber pipe from (SBP)?

I'm using the spooky tooth expansion chamber because of clearance issues on my 20 " frame. i did notice quite a difference in power, but more on the top end than the bottom end. i modified the inside and outside of my stock muffler and used it on the end of the expansion chamber. with no muffler / baffle the s.t. expanson chamber is VERY LOUD and really doesn't make much difference by itself. but, with a high flow muffler /baffle on the end, it make a huge difference. I actually took my stock muffler apart, gutted it, cut a 45 degree slash in the end and put it back together. i drilled holes in the baffle plate that's inside of it one at a time. i tried the muffler after i drilled each hole and when i got to the point where there was no performance increase and a noise increase, i welded one hole shut. as it is, i have 3 holes drilled in the baffle plate on the side furthest away from the exhaust outlet. the exhaist flows through those holes, but it still has to go through the baffle before it exits the pipe. it's almost as quiet as it was with the stock muffler & pipe, but it has a ton more power. it has a nice healthy / raspy sound but it isn't annoying.

Back