Expansion Pipe question for 2 stroke 48cc.

Say psycho, Ive got the spooky x chamber also. Im running it right off the block. It is very LOUD even with cheap lawnmower muffler. I managed to weld a 3/4" thread fitting onto the stinger but Im still looking for quieter muffler. Havent got any clearance for xchamber anywhere else unless I really do some mods...That 66 Triumph is cherry! I want it, give me, give me....Seriously, I had a crappy old Ducati back in the sixties and I always wanted a Triumph. I just love the sound of a Triumph....Cheers, Apache

Wild man!!!!!!!!!!!!~ Go with a Concours ZG1000.........................................

Thee **** with this ("""") stuff.........................

i too tried a lawnmower muffler at first and all it seemed to do was collect oil and drip it all over the place.
i also was going to try to use a baffle from an 80c.c. honda dirt bike, but it was way too big to fit on my bike.
That's another solution if you have the room. try to find an older baffle from like an 80 c.c. or 125 c.c. 2 stroke dirt bike. look for an older one (like from the mid-late 70's) because they are smaller than the newer ones are. you can find them failry cheap on e-bay from time to time. the one i have is from an early 90's honda cr 80, but it's way too big for my bike and it's rectangular rather than tubular. i have a 20" frame and my bike is a lowrider, so don't have a lot of ground clearance or frame clearance. if you want to give it a shot, i will sell it to you cheap or trade you something for it if you want...i have no use for it.
here's what my modified stock muffler looks like on the s.t. chamber.

I hide the end of the muffler that has the small outlet hole in it, up inside the muffler tube, so you can't see it. with the slash cut on the end, it looks like it's just an open pipe.

bike.jpg

muffler005.jpg

If your stock muffler is not welded together, you can take it apart and modify it like i did. if it isn;t welded together, there will be 3 screws on the outside holding the whole thing together. once you get the screws out, you will have to put a bar or something in the end that comes from the engine (you will have to cut the pipe off for it to fit on the expansion chamber anyway) and pound on the bar to knock the guts out. you will have to put the bar against the peice (see pic below) and pound it, but pound it carefully. it is a very tight fit, but it will come apart. you will probably find that there is a peice inside the stock muffler that looks like this:
muffler003.jpg

take this peice out and leave it out. it's supposed to be a cateletic converter of sorts for emissions, but in reality all it does is block the flow of exhaust collect oil and clog up the muffler over time.
if you want to try and do this, let me know..i can walk you through it more of you want. if you look close at the pic. you can see where my bar was at when i was pounding the muffler guts out of it.

Last edited:
My stock muffler is welded together..Im going to run it for a while until I find something to stick on end of my s.t. xchamber...You're really getting too complicated for me there, psycho, but you exhaust turned out great and it even looks quiet! Ive got a couple of ideas on how to get my pipe back on. I'll post a pix when I get er done......Cheers!

Ok ok ill let you guys in on a secret.

If you use the proper STINGER and set it right things will quiet dow.

I recomend around a 3/4 diameter pipe 6 to 7 inches long.

you can adjust it by cutting little pcs off the end if you need to.

Now if you take such a stinger and insert it into the pipe so that the end inside the chamber is past the mean point of reflection of the baffel cone.

It will be quieter than a chamber with a glass packed silencer.

If you add a silencer to it .... even more quiet.

So get some pipe and stick it 2 to 3 inches inside the chamber and give it a whirl.

It works

Back in the day I used to use steel wool and beer cans in my stinger on my old VDub in CA. and when I felt the need to be harassed (or the harasser) or I was in the desert I would just pull it out. It really does work nice, or you could rig up a side pipe with the quick straight on the header? just some old tricks handed down to me along the way.

i am not concerned about the noise level to be honest.
but an open expansion chamber is actually too loud...annoying loud.
right now, my bike sounds like an 80 c.c. 2 stroke dirt bike.
it has the pop, and ratt-a-tatt-tatt sound which sounds good to me.

What im trying to say is if you put the stinger up in the chamber you can run it open.

It will still sound nice the way you want it too.

But it will be no where near as loud.

yeah i understand that, and i know what you mean.
But I personally, don't care too much about the noise.

hi
just thought i say my 20 cents worth

im riding a shaft driven real wheel inrtral gear 3 spd 26 inch
with factory 44 tooth rear
but motor is a RSE hp1 upgraded to 50 hp2
billet head
billet clutch cover/ inlet
ehaust was up dated to poo poo long street pipe
my low an mid is awesum from a cheep exhaust
i top at 65 kmh ummm 40 mph
im goin to get my exhaust upgrade from pirate cycles
just thought i let there are diff exhaust motor setups out there