Expression of interest second South Aussie MBc run. Discussion thread.

Good work so far,
Going from last ride's expirience, we need to set some soft rules, no big deal, but the inevitables may happen and that is niggling breakdowns.
Chains fall off,clutch cables, etc things like that, the unexpected.
It's best we all stop and check out the rider and their problem and we fix it.
This is what it's all about, endurance, fault finding and solutions on the spot as they occur.
If it's unfixable, I guess have enough tools so one can remove chain and ya on ya own form there to pedal back, ultimately if all else fails or towing a bike can be considred to if the terrain is a hassle to pedal till ya on the flats again.

Fuel.
Depends what run is planned,how far and all that. But we had to re-fuel half way and it got messy with oil mixing, each had their own specific mix and to me it's 6 one way, half a doz the other. But let's decide now how we gonna do the fuel mix if this is a long run.

Other than that, not much else I can think of except food and coffee.

Very valid points.

Okay I carry all the tools I need to pull my bike down to component pieces. If any of the riders has spares might be good to bring them. I dont suggest we all bring the same spares, much like 4wding. So long as someone has the needed part then its all good.

I like the linear trail idea suggested. So there wouldnt be any rough terrain.

Fuel, so long as we all have full tanks at the start I would say we have it covered. Does anyone think we would need more fuel than that?

As a backup I might get a 1 litre springwater this week, drain it, and dry it. I can then add my required amount of 2 stroke oil to it and if I need it, I just need to add a litre of fuel at a pump and I have a half a tank. An almost empty bottle wont be a issue sitting in my backpack. If everyone thinks that that wont be enough I will double the oil in it and fill it twice giving me a full tank.
Being a springwater bottle I can then drop it in a bin.

Everyone go over their bike the day before the run and check every nut and bolt.

Also lets settle for a run, linear park was suggested, its not the only route, does anyone have a different suggestion? And we will still need a meeting point.

Bolts, a great post, do you think there is anything else we need to prepare for?

Okay, a suggested run, meet at TTP 9am.
Leave there between 9:30 to 10.
Ride to the linear trail, then proceed to the city.
From there we can continue the trail, head to the bay, do whatever.

Or do that run backwards, or meet somewhere on the south side and ride up.

Hi everyone

I am up for the ride next weekend on Saturday, either from ttp to city to bay and back again or city to bay and back again. It does not really worry me.

I live in Athelstone and can bring another three people with motorized bikes which have not resisted on this site. Sounds like the weather should be good on Saturday. I can also ride Sunday if arrangements change.

Marcus

I agree, 9am at TTP, have morning coffee, breakfast etc. check the bikes out, wait for any late comers. Leave there at 10ish, then ride to the city (maybe via linear park trail), meet the others at Whitmore square, then en mass ride to the bay.

Im cheating to get to TTP, I got a triple bike rack for the car today, so I will drive to TTP with my bike on the back. I can chuck tools, compressor etc in the back for JIC reasons.

I suggest a good meeting spot to be the entrance used to get to the cinema's. Good public visibility, and the food court is just inside.

How does that sound?

Hey guys,
I'll probably come along too, I reckon I'd meet you all at the bay though, that's closer to me... :)

One thing to keep in mind, Linear Park is a bike track (motorcycles not allowed) - on Saturday & Sunday you get LOTS of people riding/walking, lots of pets and young children too. 10+ noisy motored bikes might not be a welcome addition, anytime I ride on linear park normally I make sure I kill the engine whenever I approach lots of people/pets - we've got to make sure we're courteous if we don't want any trouble.

Back