Falls Creek Ski Village & Mt McKay summit - March 2014

Great pics! Thanks for another inspirational post Fabian. I hope I can do something similar next year. :)
Do you know the start and end altitude? Were any adjustments to the carb neccesary during the trip? Have you tried mapping the climbs with any of the cycling route mapping watsits on the 'net?

Do you know the start and end altitude?

around 1,000 feet and around 7,000 feet.

Were any adjustments to the carb necessary during the trip?
That is a definite yes, and unfortunately i didn't have the Walbro style diaphragm carburettor fitted to my bike, due to the massive amount of messing around that was caused by the damaged magnet and keyway issue, as described in another thread.
As we are in our last days of reliable weather i didn't have the time to reinstall the diaphragm carburettor, and i paid a heavy price for it when climbing into the thin mountain air; with the bike losing (what felt like) half it's power above 1,500 meters (5,000 feet); requiring the use of the front low range chainring to get me up some of the steeper hills.

If i had the diaphragm carburettor installed, it would have been no more than a simple 1/4 turn or maybe 1/2 turn of the jetting screws to correct the air/fuel ratio due to the effects of altitude.

Have you tried mapping the climbs with any of the cycling route mapping watsits on the 'net?

In the last photo (above this line of writing), you can see Lake Pretty (at the bottom curve of the blue arrows), and looking ahead of Lake Pretty is Mt McKay summit (and microwave tower) at the termination of the red arrows.
In the below photos you can first see the view looking down from Mt McKay to Lake Pretty and the second photo shows where my bike is at the bottom road as shown at the end of the blue arrows, looking up at Mt McKay microwave tower from Lake Pretty.

Lake Pretty as looking down from Mt McKay summit

Mt McKay summit and microwave tower at the top centre of the above photo

Lake Pretty as shown by the above photo.

Last edited:
Back