Fasteddys side car build

http://tinyurl.com/yajkqcz

I've got the interior in the side car and the frame is mocked up to give everyone a chance to see it and what I used to do it.
Any one sees a problem or has a question please let me know.

If we don't get a lot of rain this weekend I'm going to try and get it welded up.
I've labled everything as to just what I'm going to do and the sidecar is designed to operate on it's own so the rider can lean left or right to make turns and not be stopped by a third bar/anchor point.

Steve.

Can't believe it's been two months since I got the frame cut out. Been bad weather and a lazy Steve combo. Steve also found out welding in a rain storm is not a smart move. Again!

The welds are not pretty but it is the first time in about 50 years. I wasn't any good then either. Plan on a stronger welder and above all, lessons.

Wouldn't think things like a simple brake caliper bracket would take two days to make but it did me. Works great though.
Still working on how to put the sidecar on the bike but that is the next challenge.

If the wind and rain stop soon, I'll paint it. Pounding rain and 40 mph winds at the moment. I have to paint outside and bring it in to dry.

Any ideas or question are more than welcome.

Steve.

Great work! I have been thinking about making a side car, so PLEASE keep up dating you work. Your welds look fine from the photos and angles look square.

Thanks fellas. I'm worried about something breaking and once more the old guy finishes the trip with flashing lights and men in white coats.

Got to start on the sidecar mount tomorrow and see if the bike lines up with the sidecar mount. Says it will in the book but it's lied to me before.

Steve.

I've got some more photos of the sidecar frame and mount. I plan to hold the sidecar to the frame but U bolts clamped on the seat stay and chain stay as well as the axle/bolt.
The tin is just a cover to make it look decent.

Here is how I made the cover. made a pattern and traced it onto a piece of 3/4" mdf board. Turned a belt sander upside down and sanded it to the pencil line.

Routed the outside edge with a router and a 3/8" round over bit.
Put it on top a a piece of sheet metal and drew around it with a heavy felt tip marker. Cut it out up to the outside of the marker line with a sabre saw and a metal cutting blade. Wear ear protection. Belt sanded the metal edge smooth and to the marker edge.

After you square the metal on the form bend the metal in 4 places where the X's are. This helps to hold it in place. I bent it over about 1/2 way all around the edge then went back and finised it. Found if you start on the top and hammer over to the edge it goes better and tighter. Work different sections as you go.

The rest of the photos are how it will mount on the bike. There will be blocks cut from a hockey puck on either side of the stays so when the U bolts are tightened it will save the frame from being scratched or crushed.

The sidecar can be adjusted to be square with the frame and ride up and down so that there will be less chance of it lifting or diving in the turns since the bike will bank into the turns. I'll know more for sure if I'm not picking my self out of the weeds along the road side.

If you would like a pattern of the sidecar cover please PM me. Just be warned that it may not be for 2/3 weeks. I'll send it sooner if I can. The metal that clamps on the stays is 31/2" wide. I had to weld two pieces together.

Plan to paint the bike as soon as we get some good weather. Good friday the wind was doing 65mph and it was raining.

Questions or thoughts are always welcome.

Steve.

Last edited:
sheetmetal cover looks nice.. like it was made by a old tin-nocker..Side car mounting pieces look good and strong..I will bet there will be no problem , even with Mona ridin in there

Tedd, she's the love of my life but if she is going to ride on this rig, I'll need a gravel box on the side to get all of her in. Might need a thousand watt motor to get it going down the road too.
Sure glad love is blind. I'm afraid to buy new glasses.

Steve.

Back