Fat Tire Chopper Bicycle

It's time.:devilish: Building mini choppers and 2 1/2 years of dabbling with MB's It's time for me to
combine one sport bike with another.

I've spent 3 weeks working on a frame to fit a 6 ft. adult rider. I saw this frame design a
year ago and couldn't stop thinking about it so I gave it a whirl. Not as easy as I thought.

In tradition of keeping a radical bicycle look, the frame is designed with a single down tube.
Of course keeping a peddal drive train. (different than my mini choppers)

Im going with a 45 to 47 deg. rake, with a 24" 72 spoke front wheel. Chrome billet forks.
I'm not building the rear frame until I find the ultimate 11"wide x 23"tall rear tire/rim combo.
The head frame is bowed, to accept any engine style. I may start with a HT to save costs.
If I love the bike I may upgrade.

This will be a slow going project due to a busy life. This is where i'm at so far. I'll keep this
thread updated as things progress. graucho

Attachments

• begining_frame_parts1.jpg
    begining_frame_parts1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 9,842
  • frame_welded1.jpg
    frame_welded1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 5,197
  • frame_welded_front1.jpg
    frame_welded_front1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 4,885
  • frame_welded_rear1.jpg
    frame_welded_rear1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 18,732
Last edited:
Last edited:
i really enjoy your work. did you see the high school projects on hoopers site? im going to wire mine just as your example and pray it works. i was amazed with the power akvan had, in fact he said he could have used a 50cc and had pleanty. mitch

Last edited:
I was digging through inventory and stumbled across this minibike 97cc lifan engine I had shelved. I was doing a little dreaming and thought since I was stretching out the bike I could mount it behind the seat, and I could leave the open frame area "open". Then keeping the smell, noise behind me.

Before I took the tank off I put a little gas in it, pulled it 4 time and it fired up after 3 years. This 97cc's going to have to work a little to pull the bike. But not any more than a 250 lb. guy on a 35 lb. bike with a 20 lb. happytime.

On the other hand...I change my mind on bike designs everyday. Who knows what i'll end up with. :giggle:

Attachments

• 01_engine.jpg
    01_engine.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,803
  • 02_engine.jpg
    02_engine.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,776
  • 03_engine.jpg
    03_engine.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,798
  • 04_engine.jpg
    04_engine.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2,308
  • 05_engine.jpg
    05_engine.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,770
  • 06_engine.jpg
    06_engine.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,774
  • 07_engine.jpg
    07_engine.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 4,720
Last edited:
graucho, I really admire your work. I gotta say, though - your shop is entirely unreasonably neat, tidy, and clean.

Fine stuff.

Thank you guys. My shop does get trashed often. The photos must have been on a good day. :)

I have been working on the rear frame and engine mount for the fat tire. Its been 8-15 degree's in the garage. Burrrrrr. I must love this ****.

Attachments

• side_rear_frame.jpg
    side_rear_frame.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 2,028
  • rear_frame.jpg
    rear_frame.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 1,731
  • rear _with _engine.jpg
    rear _with _engine.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,796
I found a neat headlight from a 12v kids electric "Razor" motorcycle. In my photo its just sitting on the fork, i'll have to do a little fabricating. There are some plastic parts so we'll see if it lasts. It was free so thats no loss in $, only time.

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 1,749
Jackshaft set up

Here's the raw section of the jackshaft set up. the shaft will be trimmed on the final set up. Im sure i'll finetune the sprocket ratios when i'm up and running. I set the engine in place to show position.

I was asked how long the bike is? I stretched it to 7'11in. so it fits in my 8ft utility trailer. I was also asked how hot will the seat/rider get with the engine underneath/behind? There is a heat shield that mounts on top of the engine. We'll find out. :)

Attachments

• jackshaft_1.jpg
    jackshaft_1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 1,703
  • jackshaft_2_With_engine.jpg
    jackshaft_2_With_engine.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,901
Last edited:
Back