Tires Fat Tyres

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by JimKamenidis, Sep 26, 2010.

1. JimKamenidis

JimKamenidis Member

2. reb1

reb1 Member

What about them. What do you need them for.
  3. DougC

DougC Guest

Well,.,.,.,.,. first thing to realize is that all you funny-talking people in Euroland get Schwalbe tires for cheap compared to us US peeples.... Most bicycle tires in the USA cost $20-$35, but the Schwalbes are up around $50. The importer is in Canada, so we get to pay for shipping twice. Here, Schwalbes are one of the most expensive brands for the 26"/559mm size.

For the price you're paying (£16.99, Fat Frank) they're not bad, but not anything special either. Many US people building antique-style motorized bikes pay for the Fat Franks because they come in cream and brown colors, though I recall the N American distributor couldn't get anything but the black ones for a long time (I don't know if that problem is resolved or not).

For what it's worth, among non-motorized riders the Marathon tires get mentioned a lot more than the Fat Franks.

Also we note: 2.35" wide tires will rub a lot of engine chain-drives unless special measures are taken.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  4. reb1

reb1 Member

Again what about them. Do you want these tires because they are pretty, flat resistant or because they are wider. What is there primary purpose. I use marathons because they are durable and they support two overweight people on a tandem.
  5. DanielMaia

DanielMaia Member

I laughed --> The euro land :D

Im from Portugal, and here there are no decent tyres (white tyres, and so on)

We need to import all from Germany or USA :)
  6. JimKamenidis

JimKamenidis Member

7. skrufryder

skrufryder Member

My buddy has the cream colored fat franks there cool...They offer them in rubber wraped kevlar super strong. Scwalbe makes great tire's i have them on all my bike's.I personaly like the BIG APPLES and Marathons..Looking to get some KOJACKS there supper slick.....There realy not that exspensive...The company I work for is a dealer so I get them supper cheap... I recomend schwalbe to anyone for almost any application...They also make great scooter tires.
  8. reb1

reb1 Member

The Schwalbe tires are durable and do not fail when overinflated on our tandem. There 2"X26" marathons will support 140kilos per tire. I spend 32 per tire before shipping and they hold up really well.