Favorite exhaust note?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tinker1980, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

I was riding today, first time in a while, and while listening to the little HT motor I got to thinking about all the other neat engine sounds I've heard.

What are your 5 favorites??

Mine are, in no particular order:

1.) Old school (12A) Mazda rotary.
    2.) Kubota 2 cylinder tractor engine.
    3.) Chevrolet small-block V8
    4.) 70 cc HT 2 stroke
    5.) Husqvarna WR250 dirt bike (Also a 2 stroke)

2. heathyoung

heathyoung Member

Bridgeport 13B at idle.
    Fiat/Lancia 1800 Twincam
  3. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

Harley Davidson:scooter:
  4. alex

alex Guest

5. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

Harley D. (any)
    Mecedes Benz 450 SEL, 6.9 Ltr V8
    350 (Chev) GTS Monaro
    327 (Chev) GTS Monaro
    XY GS Ford 250ci 6 Cyl with twin exhaust system.
    Victa Lawnmower (1968 2 Stroke Model)
  6. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Nissan L series OHC inline six
    Buick 3.8L Turbo V6
    Volkswagen air cooled boxer four
  7. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Can't argue a bit with any of posts so far.

Something about a 70 chengine on the pipe is funny as **** and sweet at the same time.

I always like the sound of the big block Ford Cobra 427 engine.

Volvo Red Block turbos.

Old Dodge Hemi's (not the new "hemi")
  8. I am partial to 2 strokes

Yamaha RD400

Suzuki TM400

Kawasaki and Suzuki Triples

All with expansion chambers of course

Just something about the pop, pop, pop.........
  9. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

Easy answer 1987 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 hatchback with Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers
  10. When the Drag Strip is open, We enjoy the Exhaust Sounds of the old Mopar, peddling the secondarys, WIDE Open,,

Attached Files:

11. crazyman

crazyman New Member

12. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

AWESOME replies - I hadn't ever heard a Countach before. The H2 sounded sick, I got to ride one of those once they're crazy fast! A few others I'd forgotten about - my other half, she has a Grand Prix GTP, which is a grand prix with a 3800 supercharged engine, on the order of 240 horses. (Too bad it needs a $300 fuel pump) Also, I used to have a Mitsubishi Mighty Max with a 2.0 engine, I was poor and the exhaust was rotting away, I purchased a muffler from Atwoods for a ford tractor, and a piece of 45 degree pipe, and brazed it together... the little truck made the strangest sound. Hmmm... what else... my EX500 is a inline twin with a 11k redline, it sounds pretty sweet not as high pitched as a 600cc four.

Perhaps strangest of all, was an old Maytag washer I saw with a twin cylinder two stroke, if I remember right it was a hit and miss engine.

13. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Those old Maytags were generally single cylinder hit and miss - like my favorite engine of all time - the John Deere "Johnny-Popper" I could listen to one of them bubbling along all day.

Also kind of partial to a '67 Impala SS with a balanced/blueprinted 327 engine with a 6 pack I had. Sweet, sweet screaming machine with the cutouts open.

RATRODER Guest

How about a Model T at idle,you can hear the coils buzzing. louis
  15. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

I remember and liked much

Harley Hog and also my Harley Sportster with some mod pipes

old BSA 250 one lunger

old Matchless 500 one lunger

these are just the ones that come to mind -- ride that thing
  16. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

ah yes...Dad had a "Poppin' Johnny" when I was little. It had to be hand-started, by spinning the flywheel. I never was "big" enough to start it...but he would let me drive it. that hand clutch musta had a 2-foot throw.

My Russian D engines just putt-putt-putt, until I hit a hill or pull a load, then they really buzz.
  17. ChuckIt

ChuckIt New Member

18. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

You know, I never heard it, but sure wish I could have. In the 1930's, when my Dad was a kid, his father worked for a while near Ardmore, OK, a a field tender. Basically, his job was to walk around an oil field, slopping crude oil from a bucket onto to bearing journals for pump rods. If you don't know, before the "grasshopper" walking beam oil jack pumps became universal, a lot of fields had an engine house with a huge old stationary engine that drove jackshafts that ran to each pump.

Those old engines were HUGE stationary diesels that ran on raw field gas. The flywheel of the one G'Dad ran was 10 ft in diameter, and vertical, on an 8 inch shaft. Once a week he'd shut it down long enough to drop the collection pan under it and clean out the accumulated dirty oil. Restarting it involved climbing inside the flywheel and squirrel caging it up to about 40 rpm, then jump out, open the gas valve, and close the compression relief valve to get it to fire up. Once it was running at temp, you would close the gas valve down to hold it at 50 rpm, and engage the band clutch on the output shaft with a LONG lever, then one by one bring each shaft online with the line clutches. It fired every 3 seconds or so.

Dad said it would make the most horrendous basso-profundo "CRUMP" on each firing, and on cool mornings blow a smoke ring from the vertical exhaust stack each time.
  19. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

I had a 1968 dodge Super Bee with a 383 magnum. It sounded mean at an idle and when the secondaries opened up it was just music to my ears. That car got me from gas station to gas station quicker than anything I ever owned. 6mpg but gas was only 29.9 cents a gallon then.
    I also like the sound of a properly tuned Quenton Whizzer engine.

20. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I know what you mean. I used to have a '67 Cutlass. It drank only premium and got around 12 mpg if I was lucky, but it hauled butt! It was my first car, and at the time I really didn't appreciate what I had. Now I wish I never got rid of it. :banghead: