FD and rear suspension?

Hypoxia

Local time
7:55 AM
So i'm not having much luck finding the answer, which might mean it's a non-issue but i'd rather make sure.

The question is how do rear friction drive set-ups handle the extra play of rear suspension? I know how it would be done on a chain, chain tensioner and such. But not sure on a roller. Since i'm not finding much i'm kinda assuming that tire flex would just eat the extra play? o_O? maybe?

I ask because i'm shopping for a bike right now and just saw a 3 bike lot on CL. A huffy ladies bike(nice handle bars), a full suspension mongoose(and this one looks pretty new! Springy seat too.), and a no name mountain bike(meh, spare parts), all for $75. I imagine i could coble together a nice starter bike from the 3. ^^

Last edited:
I dont see where it matters one way or the other as long as the motor is mounted on a rear section that is connected to the swingarm and not to the frame. You can always change the setup with a hacksaw and a welder.

oh der! XD Ha ha!

For some reason i was thinking it was attached at both points o_O just looked at pics AGAIN, how did i not see that whilst asking myself that question. Not to much experience with bikes and none with engines on bikes.

Total brain fart ^^; sorry

wtmfl (Small).JPGwtmfr (Small).JPG

easy

:p Yeah. I was all like not paying enough attention >.< XD

Actually the type of suspension i was thinking of is the same as in this Gallery(the blue bike). Not the original concern but the roller assembly look awful close to the seat/seat post. I wonder if a hard enough bump would cause them to become... better acquainted XD Not a big deal though. I can fab a bracket to fix the issue no sweat if it ever actually becomes an issue.

Thanks for humoring me though y'all ^^;

how does the owner fill the tank with it at that angle??
when I had the stock tank on it was a pain to fill and mine sat level
stock tank was only good for 13 miles and it was empty. It is 15 miles to work...

the tank shown is 1/2 gallon good for over 60miles
Engine is 31cc 4stroke

my commute is 14 miles each way with very rough streets and i needed full suspension so i put together this setup. you can buy the u-bar extension from the manufacturer for this type of full suspension MTB. ride is decent with little or no bottoming outs but i do lose some top end speed compared to the same setup on my hard tail MTB. fuel usage is decent @ 1/4 liter for 14 miles on a Subaru-Robin. please note that the rack is in the raised position when i took this picture. when its locked down on the wheel the rack is perfectly horizontal.
mongoose gas bike.jpg

The frame has not been the problem for me it was the wheels and the butter soft bearings... now replaced wheels with double wall 12 gauge spoked wheels

I put a friction drive on my Schwinn Protocol .1. The rear suspension is considerably lower than the one on your bike. I fabricated a new front bracket for the friction drive out of a steel flat bar, bent to fit, and a length of flat aluminum to give it some side to side rigidity. I used a u-bolt to001.jpg002.jpg mount the front bracket to the top arm of the rear suspension fork. I'll see if I can get some pictures that will show it.

Back