Felt 1903!

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Drunkskunk, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

I've been researching a motored bike for a while now, and lurking here for more than 6 months, occasionaly asking a question, or book marking a link on whatever computer i was on.

2 weeks ago, I bought my Felt 1903 and a HT "80" to start actual construction. After researching and reading here (A Lot of reading!) I'm going to start ordering parts needed for the bike conversion.

The ting is, there are a number of people who are using Felt Cruisers and HT engines, and info is spread out everywhere. sometimes you have to read through 8 pages of posts to find one link you need, and there's even more info out there on the web.

So I decided to start a build thread, and in this thread i'm going to add links specific to converting a Felt Cruiser into a Motored bike. Sort of a consolidation of information. Others are welcome to add links too.

And the first link I want to add is to a company thats already doing the conversion: http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com//Motorbike/1903.htm

2. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

3. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

I really like that Chief model

wish it had the springer front end

Ride That Thing - Mountainman
  5. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

For that money I'll get a schwinn or 6 here, debadge them, fit an HT and export them back....

They are nice looking motors but overpriced for what they are... paintjobs notwithstanding..

jemma xx
  6. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

Seal it!

Yeah, I don't think I would give them $2k for $600 worth of parts assembled. the guy who sold me the motor offers to install it for $125.

But half the fun is building a bike like this. Still, its nice to see that the Felt Cruiser is popular enough to become a comewrcial venture.

This is the bike that gave me the most inspiration, and the first bike I saw that actualy used the tank as a tank: http://www.oroville-eternal-riders.org/motorbike.htm

And of course, the gas tank Sealant: http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Cycle-Tank-Sealer-Kit_p_7-31.html
  7. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

A really beautiful bike. $2000.00 is hard to live with, though.

but consider that Felt MP at $549.00 (still a bit steep, but not too bad) and a $200.00 HT engine. That's getting a bit more reasonable.

That looks to be about as likable as a Whizzer at a better price.
  8. Here is the european BMX version of the same: MBK

Attached Files:

9. huckersteve

huckersteve Member

Um.... how exactly is that relevant? It's nothing like a Felt or even a vintage looking bike build... :(
  10. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

11. ocscully

ocscully Member

For what ever its worth you should be sure and call Dans Comp to be sure they have the spoke length you need. Dan's is pretty much a BMX speciality shop and may not stock the lengths needed for the larger diam. rims most folks here are using for their motored bike projects. Depending upon what hub/rim combination you are using spoke lengths for 26 in. wheels run 258- 268mm length. 20 in. BMX wheels are down around 185mm +-. They also have a note printed on the page linked to above that they do not make spokes available for online purchasing. So I guess at a minimum you have to call them.

12. Drunkskunk

Drunkskunk Member

This thread isn't totaly dead. I'm still working on the bike! slowly....

But now I have a problem. My Peugeot moped, originaly bought so I could take the VIN plate and title for the Felt build, runs too well. the reason thats a problem is It only runs because I stole the HT carb from the Felt's kit. Now I have no carb for the felt, or throttle... :whistling:

So who's a good source for HT motor parts now? Most the links I aquired last summer are out dated, out of the office, out of stock, or just plain out of buisness.