Felt MP

hblocal, your a gentleman and craftsman. thank you.

again it shows you learn something new everyday. i didnt think to use steel wool to pack in the rear seat post area. i wasnt sure how it looked back there either, inside the top tube that is. the last time i used jb weld, i could of swore it was putty and not liquid. anyway im might use something from work. its actually sealer for aircraft tanks. it comes in a plunger type cylinder, 2 part epoxy. all i have to do is find a length of tubing to snake into the holes. the sealer is more paste than liquid, it will run if you apply a good helping, but pretty much stays goopy in small amounts.

i have never used a tank sealer. just worried when pouring the cleaner and sealer out.

last night i searched fuel bungs and petcocks. i am not sure if i have a tap over 2" to thread a fuel port. i was considering epoxying a flanged flip top gas cap. i wouldnt need to twist cap off and worry i might twist the whole cap and neck with it. not sure how i would mount the petcock either, if it has a back nut. i dont know the thickness of the frame.

HBLOCAL, i plan to mount a honda gxh-50, 4 stroke/grubee gear. have you built one like that?

thanks again for all the great info, you can sure bet it will help many. hats off...........grez

PS: ooops, should i move this thread to 4 stroke or frame mount projects? thx MB

Last edited:
Full Bore Race Products/iRides Board Racer

http://www.fullborerace.com/fuelcaps_filler_bungs.html Here is a link to a supplier in Santa Ana, CA who has filler bungs He has the larger 2-1/2 in caps but He also has a much smaller 1-5/16 in. one. I have a feeling when you get your bike unpacked and actually see the proporations of the tank you will find the larger caps and fillers are just to darn big. I purchased the smaller one for the Tank for my project bike. The Filler That HBLOCAL used on his Felt 1903 is quite small dia. In fact he may even need to use a funnel to get the gas into the tank. If you haven't already seen this bike http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=12310 check the photos of the tank and fuel filler.

ocscully

grez, the J.B. weld does come in paste form in a tube it is only when it gets warm that it starts to liquify enough to use a hypo-dermic w/o the needle to inject into the frame i do not use any tubes at all, also never mounted a Honda but one day i will.
When i am sealing the seat post tube i will use ice bags on the frame where i injected the J.B. WELD heat makes it mover easier and cold stops it in place where you want it to stay.
also whatever you use make sure that it gas resistant like J.B. weld is it is made for repairing gas tanks ,Hope this helps Good Luck

Thanks for the diy guide it's a huge help! I think it's so much better to have the top tube as the tank instead of that kit tank strapped over it. I saw a new post about using Felt bikes so I will also pass this info on.
Thanks again,
Hotrodlincoln

Hotrodlincoln , sorry i did not respond to your message for some reason i could not get it to open up so i could read and respond :confused:

YIPEEEEEE WHHOOOOO YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!! AGGHHHAHAHAHA!!!!.....i mean..."cool".....(im a grown responsible adult now....compose.....compose......ahhhhh.......{smile})......bike shop called and said my MP is here. will pick up tomorrow and start a few pics. now its the motor and grubee. thats when the vendors start receiving stock. theres plenty of chat over that in here.

ok, my thought on the filler bung is convenience, large enough to fill at the pump and not carry a funnel of some sort. I still like the idea of a flip top cap. the petcock and lines, i would love to see brass and copper. (would be even cooler if there was a sight glass near the petcock to see fuel).http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant...ct_Code=263103&Category_Code=fuelfillsfliptop

HBLOCAL: that 1903 is cherry....hats off again. i hope to give u a run for your money with my MP. stand back and watch the fireworks, baby.............................that MP might just blow up after im finished...lol.

stupid question #1: the clutch........it does come with the grubee gearbox kit, right?

stupid question #2: the bike is a 3 speed.....can i save the rear hub and shift system? or do i have to hunt for a single speed hub.

stupid question #3: been reading in here, you need good brakes....planning on front hub brake and some sort of caliper rear, ( disc if possible ), maybe do a dual brake mod, and .....would it be advisable to somehow disengage coaster brake.

cheers for the links scully

grez

Last edited:
HBLOCAL, that's weird I wonder why, anyways thanks again for all the info, BTW what 2 stroke motor are you running on the Felt bikes? I'm kinda confused about all the vendors that say their motors are the best. I am getting the impression that DAX is pretty solid,I also saw a post that said that some vendors had Japanese 2 stroke kits that were better and that they could be found on this site but I have had no luck finding them. I would gladly pay more to have peace of mind. I am assuming that derringer cycles are using some quality motors judging by the price they a charging. but I could be wrong. Thanks again for all your help, I'll post progress pics as soon as I get going.
Hotrodlincoln

just brought home the bike, got a pic of it but cant upload image. its sized right, just freezes when uploading and never does??? oh well....its not like you guys dont know what it looks like. they put the thing together, i asked for them to leave it in the box. oh well again.

now that i have it in my hands....looks like i will have to settle for a small filler bung, scully's right about a funnel.

i rode it a bit...wish the bars are little higher tho....nice ride....im happy.

grez

Filler

Grez , I use a small funnel to fill my tank it not a big deal you could carry it your tool pouch behind the seat there is a nice vareity at Osh Harware in the cooking and utensil section.
That is the draw back to the goose neck on your bike also w/o a springer fork the ride is a little stiffer make sure to hold on tight when you are riding .
also if you flip over the holder on your goose neck it will bring it up a couple of inches and it will help been there done that , good luck:cool::cool:

HBLOCAL, that's weird I wonder why, anyways thanks again for all the info, BTW what 2 stroke motor are you running on the Felt bikes? I'm kinda confused about all the vendors that say their motors are the best. I am getting the impression that DAX is pretty solid,I also saw a post that said that some vendors had Japanese 2 stroke kits that were better and that they could be found on this site but I have had no luck finding them. I would gladly pay more to have peace of mind. I am assuming that derringer cycles are using some quality motors judging by the price they a charging. but I could be wrong. Thanks again for all your help, I'll post progress pics as soon as I get going.
Hotrodlincoln

Hot rod Lincoln I use a Chinese 80 c.c. engine that is a little older model there are now better ones that are E.P.A approved there is a guy in Costa Mesa that sells them for $ 250 dollars I have not bought one yet but I will some day he is in Craigslist under Bikes also his motors have a better lower end bearings etc. again my way is not the only way but until I come up with a better way this is how I seal them , be more than happy to assist you in any way I can keep on riding I am in Huntington Beach :mad::D

Back