Finally broke down...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by adamtheha, Jul 7, 2008.

1. adamtheha

adamtheha Member

No, not my bike. Me. I finally broke down and bought a motorcycle for $1200. It's what I've always wanted, and I need to get it out of my system. The insurance is only $200 a year here in Alberta, and of course, gas is getting outrageous, but will be cheaper. This will be my "long-distance" bike, and my motored bike will be for short little day-time jaunts, like Home Depot and whatnot.
    Nobody panic, I'm still a motored biker at heart! I just felt the need, for speed, and to be honest, I can't really trust my little bike for really long rides, when I have to get to work at a certain time.

My next question...has anyone else bought a motorcycle because you wanted that little bit extra speed, and the 36 tooth sprocket just wasn't quite doing it?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008

2. Alan

Alan Member

Love speed.
    I ride a Kawi 1600 Classic. Went up the scale from mini-bike to moped, to 125cc, then a 250, 600, 750, now the 1600. It never ends. Now I also own 2 MB's. Once Bitten.......

Checkout : www.beginnerbikers.org

3. augidog

augidog Banned

my last big bike was an old K1000P...it rocked the house, itellyawut...but for some reason i'm even happier going 30mph on something i built.

i happened to be running a "security check" on a neighbor's house, there was a suzuki crotch-rocket parked there i'd never seen before. turns out it was all cool, only an old friend looking for his buddy.

he said to me "admit it, you only came over here to look at the ride."

i guffawed & said "shoot, i seen a million of those..." i brought my MB over and asked "how many of these have you seen?" he went gaga over it. MB's win again ;)

:cool:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. alex

alex Guest

I am going to have to admit it, but I am waiting till I get enough money to buy my dream motorcycle. An old Kawasaki H2 750. (750cc 2-stroke 3-cylinder).
    But don't worry I'll be still using my mb to go and get groceries and ride short distances around town. And make the "Hey, Is that a whizzer, I used to have one as a kid" people drool.

Attached Files:

5. augidog

augidog Banned

those 3-cyl kawi's are rocket-sleds!! put a pipe on one to "see god" ;)

yup, a time & place for everything, MB's surely have a spot in our lives :cool:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

If it Rolls and goes I dig it. My only running vehicle right now is the '83 Honda Nighthawk 550. It rocks. I needed something that would go highway speeds. I use it for groceries, commuting to work, commuting to band practice, running errands, and fun. My GEBE is almost done though and I will use that for much of my running around. Once the GEBE is done I will finish repairing the Whizzer, the Happy Tiime, and the Island hopper...
    The MB's are still tops in my book though, and there's nothing like traveling long distance at low speed as you become one with the surrounding environment and really get to interact with it; to become one with it as it should be. PLUS, the smile per mile factor is so much more than any other vehicle... I could go on but really I'm just preachin' the MB gospel to the choir here!
    Rif

Attached Files:

7. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Let's face it -- most guys and some ladies -- just enjoy those two wheels rolling -- no matter what the size of engine !!! Small MB - yes -- large bike - yes --- it would be nice to have - MB for those times when speed is not the big thing - dirt bike for the dirt - Harley for the long road.. That's what I am talking about... Happy Riding from - Mountainman

8. adamtheha

adamtheha Member

No kidding...people are bored with cars it seems, especially with the expense of gas. I was helping a customer start his bike up for the first time, and another guy stopped just off the sidewalk, and left with my phone number in hand. I can hardly go a block without someone asking me about the bikes!!! If I had enough kits or assembled bikes, I could really make a go of this.
    Two wheels are definitely better than four!

9. My last bike Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special.....

Attached Files:

10. NunyaBidness

NunyaBidness Member

my last motorcycle was a Kawasaki 450, just a small 'round town kinda bike. I was on the way home one bright sunny day, and some person in a car decided to make a left turn in front of me. (we were headed in opposite directions) I woke up in the hospital one day, ~2 weeks later, with between 72-96 fractures, a lot of them compound, I had also sustained a 'closed head injury'. I spent just about a month in the hospital and spent the next year going to the Dr.'s office and learning to walk again.
    In 1998 I got a real nice TREK full suspension mtn bike and haven't stopped riding a bicycle since;)

11. adamtheha

adamtheha Member

Ouch...that's my biggest worry, getting smoked by some tard in a car.

12. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

I dug up an old Yamaha 400cc 2 cylinder job a few years ago and reconditioned it.Still reliable with 20k miles on it,always starts& runs.Not as exciting as their 2 strokes.That Kaw. 750 2 stroke is a monster,too much power for the frame,gas milage not the greatest either,their 2 cyl. 500 cc was a better combination.I ride my Staton NV for leisurely cruising the country side,you see a lot more than at 50+ on a motorcycle, where you have to look way ahead if you care to survive.

13. Jax Rhapsody

Jax Rhapsody Member

I wanna build me a motorcycle. Somim like a cruiser, dont really like sport bikes.

14. blacksmith76

blacksmith76 New Member

Yeah, I have owned a bunch of motorcycles over the years, and eventually got into vintage choppers because of the cost of parts/maintenance on a newer bike. But, even with an old beaten up Japanese project bike, every time you turn around you spend a bunch of money.

I just finished my first MB this weekend, so I'm not speaking from a lot of experience, but these things are so simple and maintenance free (not to mention cool looking) that I don't know if I will ever go back. If you are cheap and practical, but want something with a lot of style, these things are the holy grail. I was cruising in the bike lane around my neighborhood yesterday and just had a great time doing my own thing on something I built. Now when I look at my current motorcycle project, all I see is insurance, registration fees, and repairs. Then I think about how many motorized bikes I could build with that money.

15. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

My 26 year old Yamaha doesn't require much in the way of maintenance,yearly oil change,chain&battery care and adjusting 4 valves every couple of years.Registration&insurance run $100.If you manage to stay below 500cc and out of the clutches of motorcycle mechanics,you'll do fine.Who needs a 1000 cc + monstrosity anyway,to do 80+ on an interstate?

16. blacksmith76

blacksmith76 New Member

Bit of an exaggeration on my part, I admit, but with all the stuff you have to do to get an old bike up and running, I always feel like I'm nickel and diming myself to death. I have an XT500 supermotoish project in the garage, but motivation is low now that I have my MB.

17. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Yes,I can see why, getting the old Yamaha running again was mostly a treasurehunt on eBay for electrical parts which were pretty cheap to come by and undoing what socalled motorcycle mechanics had perpetrated.The engine was OK mechnically,apart from the kick starter.But that stuff is not too hard to fix, if you know what you're doing.

18. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

My 1st was a Nitehawk 400 with 2 speed hondamatic tranny (no clutch). It was good for 65mph and was easy to drive but a school bus would beat me in a drag race.

2nd. Yamaha 650s....a very sweet ride

3,4,5,6: Nitehawk 700s Had almost every color made.

Current bike: 70cc Skyliner motorized bike...I got married

Future bike: My dream bike is a Yamaha V-max or a Honda VFR (old or new)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008