Finally pics of my first build - Delmar

I have about 300 miles on my motorbike now. I'm still debugging some things. I did some welding on the frame with more planned. I will disassemble the bike again at a later date and paint the frame. I replaced the downtube with a heavier gauge, smaller diameter piece that I bent up to mate better with the motor. It cruises easily at 25mph. Goes 30mph on the flat and almost 35mph with a good tailwind or slight downhill.

I laced a Sturmey Archer drum brake to the front rim. It performs OK. No improvement over a typical rim brake. A disc would offer better performance.

Attachments

• 100_0955.JPG
    100_0955.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 559
  • 100_0956.JPG
    100_0956.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 389
  • 100_0959.JPG
    100_0959.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 100_0960.JPG
    100_0960.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_0961.JPG
    100_0961.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 333
looks good! watch the rivets in the fenders! they tend to vibrate out, wrap under the wheel and cause a nasty spill...

I read the horror stories about the fenders. Before I ever rode the bike I ground the old rivets off the bike and replaced the brackets with some that I made out of some .09 thickness angle iron. I will probably replace them with 1/8" thick angle later but they seem to be holding up so far.

make sure the small bracket on the front fender that bolts to the frame has some support. mine broke off and then the fender is useless cause it vibrates like a jackhammer and rubs the tires.

similar build to mine. Nice job. Curious on the Sturmey Archer hub. Mine is awesome. I only use the front the brake now.

cspaur13 – I replaced both front and rear center brackets from the fenders. I still have to replace the struts for the fenders and rack. Two of them have already cracked but their failure has been uneventful. I have 350 miles on the bike and there is a good vibration buzz in the thinner metal parts at speeds over 25mph. And lately I’ve been driving over 20 miles per day at over 25mph. I also broke one of the thin brackets that holds the gas tank. I plan on changing those also.

jtmiyake - When I said that the Sturmey Archer drum brake was no better than a typical rim brake, I should have said V-brake. It is better than most of the cheap side pull calipers. And definitely better than the coaster brake.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks awesome. I'd love to have my first build come out like that. (but I plan to use an old MTB for my first one).

Nice work!

Back