Finally upgraded to my first motorcycle

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by plinko, Jul 11, 2010.

1. plinko

plinko Banned

I finally decided to quit the m.b.'s for now and do a suzuki marauder gs 250.Almost like a honda rebel.About 75 mph top speed. I figured since I never rode a motorcycle before and have 5 years experience on m.b.'s. This should be a good starter bike.And It weighs about 475 lbs.I am 6'3 and should have no problem dropping It.And 60 mpg. So any advice would be appreciated on my choice for a starter bike.

2. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

You have chosen a good bike for a starter. The best advice I can give a beginner is to look up an organization in your local county that offers beginner riding courses.
    Do not be embarrassed to attend a class or 10. What they teach you can save you alot of humility, money, and the pain of road rash. Motorcycles may ride like a heavy bicycle, but they do not handle like one at all.
    The best thing to remember is that in the eyes of cagers, you are invisible. Even moreso than while riding a bicycle. A driver can look you right in the eyes and still turn left right in front of you. You swore that they acknowledged you before the turn, but they will tell the cops that they did not see you.
    Ride safe!

3. plinko

plinko Banned

I ran Into that problem on my m.b, gearnut. I was heading to work and this guy getting off work seen me coming at 40 on a 35 mph zone and pulls right on out like some kinda genius.Luckily m.b.'s are easier to stop than a motorcycle.What you mentioned Is my number 1 fear.I am attending a few classes and gonna practice my shifting In a parking lot.In my opinion.There are many people who need to be pulled off the road.I seen drunks drive better than many sober people before.I am not saying get drunk and drive.But,There Is a real epidemic with people who are unsafe drivers or people who talk on a phone while driving.

4. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I know exactly what you mean. I was nearly run into a curb (on one of my mbs) by a woman passing me (while going in the same direction) in an intersection. She cut me off and almost into the curb on the fars side, and yes, she was gabbing on her cell phone. I should have thumped the side of her minivan with my fist (she was that close), but my mind was on self preservation at that time.
    Don't forget those who are texting. They aren't paying attention at all to what is going on. I was behind one recently at an intersection who sat there even after all the other cars before and beside her went with the green light. When I hit the horn she looked up and took off, the light turned yellow and she had been sitting far enough back from the intersection she blew right through the red once she got to it.

5. plinko

plinko Banned

This Is yet another reason I had to get a motorcycle capable of doing 55 to 70 mph.I had people 2 Inches from my rim despite the fact they could pass me safely and me signaling them or chuck a full can of coke or rockstar at my head and speed off.Texting and talking on the phone has become more of a problem than drinking and driving and last 2 years there been more death and Injury with a phone than a bottle of booze.Not that I support drinking and driving kilroy.But,There needs to be jail time for people who text and talk on a phone In their suv's or pickups Instead of them going home to their family with a giulty feeling for one night while someone lies on the road dead or a greasy spot with a family grieving over them.And I think overpopulation along with the modern huge escalades and hummer style vehicles with many blind spots has contributed to this also.Really feds me up that no one thinks about why the poor m.b.'er or motorcycle rider has any rights on the road just cuz their ride Is smaller.But I refuse to give In to modern soccer mom mentality and I will continue to ride my 2 wheeled vehicles :helmet:.Now don't get me wrong.I know some people with suv's and larger vehicles who are very courteous and alert to m.b.er's and motorcyclist.But,In general terms.People with huge vehicles usually have huge ego's and feel they are entitled to do as they please.Even at the cost of a human life:icon_cry:

6. plinko

plinko Banned

I mean what's It gonna take to get something done about this problem.Acouple more 100,000 dead bikers,scooterist,and m.b. riders? I know despite our differences In rides or opinions.We are still brothers of the 2 wheels and I am to the point of seeing tougher laws passed on those who hit a biker or m.b.'er and getting to go home to see their family and maybe have to deal with a 1 or 2 day guilty conscious knowing they were at fault while the poor guy or girl lies either a vegetable or dead cuz someone In a vehicle had to be In a rush or talk or chat on a cellphone while not paying attention to the road:veryangry:. It ticks me off that this problem has become more epidemic than drinking/drug drivers has become:veryangry:.Now, with that said. I realize there are those riding 2 wheels who blatantly disrespect laws and cut Into vehicle's paths.And I do not condone their actions:nono:.But,In general 8 times out of 10 It's the person In the big vehicles who endanger those around them.:veryangry:

7. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

In California, if a driver has an accident with a motorcycle and it is determined that the driver of the car/ truck/ whatever violated the right of way of the motorcycle, it is a felony offense.

8. plinko

plinko Banned

Much as I don't like cali gearnut.I will admit when It comes to protecting women from abuse and m.b./motorcycle laws.They are better than here In virginia.All they do here Is say we did not see him coming.I know a lady who almost hit a biker cuz she was driving and reading her mail.I seen some stupid s--- here.Makes me furious!!!!! I kinda miss cali In some ways.

9. plinko

plinko Banned

One thing about me Is I do not ride In fear.I ride like It's my last day on earth.My friends tell me there are 2 kinda bikers.ones who crashed.And those who will crash.I propose a third kinda biker.Be alert and leave It up to the good lord.I will not live In fear.It's even dangerous to walk nowadays.I just hope If I ever get In a bad wreck I will pass away Instead of suffer or be a quadraplegic In a hospital bed or wheelchair.

10. Whizzerd

Whizzerd Member

I got rid of my Virago years ago for exactly those reasons. Two near misses(hits?), one by a gal on a cellphone and one by a drunk. I was working xtra to put my kids' through college and KNEW I couldn't risk getting maimed. Well Harley's may be the great freedom machine but I feel free enough cruising down country roads at 25 mph on my mb's.. No cars, just me Smiling!