Finished Hawthorne Boardtrack

hybrid

Local time
5:04 AM
DONE! Just got done with my first couple trips around the hood. Did not intend for this bike to be this fast....it does 50 with me on it and I weigh 140lbs. 32 tooth sprocket vs. 80cc vs. a chopped and drilled exhaust. I built this bike to sell it but I am going to save that post for another thread. Told you guys I would give you first crack at it so I will list it next weekend and it will be listed for a week.

Attachments

• IMG_7351.jpg
    IMG_7351.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_7349.jpg
    IMG_7349.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_7347.jpg
    IMG_7347.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 214
are you saying 50 mph? or 50 km/h?
all you have is a 32 tooth sprocket and a chopped exhaust?
how did you calculate the speed?
I have a hard time beleiving 50 mph out of a stock 80 c.c. 2 stroke.
that gas tank is HUGE!!!

I was wondering if a mountain bike could be modified to look more retro, and after looking at your build it appears it can be. Personally, I would go with a smaller gas tank, but on the up side you could probably motor to Florida on a single tank of gas. ;)

it got up to 49 mph on my little Bell wireless speedometer...and then I backed
off. got a little scared! So yeah, I havent yet fully opened this thing up. A fresh build means a potential nut or bolt somewhere that still needs tightened and I HATE the taste of pavement! lol
Be taking the next week to give this setup a little more break in and then I will post some video with the speedometer reading to youtube.
It has Michelin all terrain tires that have been kevlared and a 26 inch BMX front end. This bike is not a mountain bike. I also installed a BMX layback seat post.
The tank tapers and with the layback post your legs get a full extension for pedaling. Again this bike is not a mountain bike. Its an old Hawthorne cruiser.
Steele but light as a feather. About 65 to 70 lbs as pictured.

It has a wireless turn signal that is activated by the lean of the bike.
Lean right and the turn signal blinks on the right side. lean left...You
get it....Man, I am going to miss this bike!

are you sure that your speedometer is calculated and set correctly?
my bike does a true 32 mph, but i can recalculate the wheel size on the speedo to make it read 50 mph if i want.
30 mph on a bike feels like 50 mph, and 50 mph on a bike probably feels like 100 mph.

I understand your skepticism and I understand why you have it. This is not my first build either. Going to put some thought into a response while I am at work today. Frankly I an a little perplexed as to why it cooks like it does to. Its overshooting my math by about 15 mph.

well, you do have a tiny 32 tooth rear sprocket and 26" wheels.
the more i think about it, the more it seems possible to get that kind of top speed.

Its really an accumulation of different factors...Yeah - the main being the sprocket to wheel ratio. The muffler was snubbed way short and rewelded with a drilled end piece. My friend came up with the most improvised and innovative
motor mount that is made of a thick rubber core. It allows for a unique and very subtle...shimmy? Anyway, it seems to diperse the tension out through the chain and drive very even and controlled. I guess you would kind of have to
see it idle to know what I was talking about. Lastly, believe it or not, the high seat and low bars. You sit on this thing almost in a jockey position, but your weight bares down on the front end instead of simply holding on. Weight vs. Force generating additional torque?

Back