Tubes Fire Hose tyre liner.

Thanks for the feedback, Nuttsy. I had planned on giving it a try the next time I had a flat, but, so far, I haven't had one... (knock on wood!) I've got somewhere around 25 feet left from a 50 foot roll of the drain hose in the garage. (Home Depot, I believe...) 50 feet would do seven 26 inch tires, so, that works out to about $4 a tire (at list prices) (but, it's a lot cheaper at Amazon...)

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Has anybody used the Walmart Slime tire liners? If tire liners move around, why not try two things to prevent that: 1. slightly inflate the tube before the installation, as the directions call for, and which is standard mounting procedure, and 2. glue the tire liner to the tire with rubber cement, aerospace/hobby plane glue, or some other type of bond, right around the center of the tread and the center of the liners.

I Never Trust A Man That Wears A Belt And Suspenders!! He Don`t Even Know What His Pants Are Going To Do!! Lol Ps Nuttsy Is Still A Friend, Even If He Don`t Play Well With Others. Ron

Attachments

• the_red_green_show.jpg
    the_red_green_show.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 396
It Was A Pun, Humour, I Wear A Belt And Suspenders. But Not For Style, For Function, They Hold My Pants Up. Ron

re: Red Green show. hahhaha. Those guys are so funny.

I caught a lucky break: I was just about to buy the Slime tire liners from you guessed it, walmart. (only real general store I can get to on my MB)

I found a section of red 3"diameter thick rubber hose that was cut off from a 20 foot length going to a truck dock bilge pump.
I took it home and washed it all up, and softened it up in a bucket of warm water. I cut it into 2 strips, which exactly! matched my 1.5 Geaux tires, and were the exact! length for tire strips (counting the inch or so needed for overlap. I trimmed them up and rounded the corners, put them in, and test rode them yesterday.
The tires were noticeably heavier, but rode nicely, and only at very low speeds do i feel the "lump" where the hose strips overlap, only on the back wheel really. the back tire seems to "wobble" a little, but it is not noticeable at 25-30mph. Perhaps it will smooth out some later. It works though, for riding. I tried poking the hoses with a knife and some small objects before making the strips. It seemed very tough.
I do not know a part number but the hose said "Goodyear" on it and was smooth red inside with sticky ribbed red outside. It was about 3 or 3.5" diameter, probably 3.

PS, I tried using craft glue (hot glue gun) but it did adhere well. A small dab seemed to help start the installation easier. I did not try the rubber cement because the liners were sticky enough on the bottom, and seemed to stay put well. They lined the tire completely, except for they did not come up into the area where the bead is. (just right)

Last edited:
Well, I can finally post a bit from experience here.

After reading this thread the first time, I went out and bought two of the flat "backwash" or "discharge" hoses.

One from Lowes. One from Harbor Freight.

The one from Lowes cost half of what the one from Harbor freight did, and was twice as long. (L = 50', HF = 25')

But... The one from HF is TOUGH !!!!!! The one from Lowes is pretty wimpy.

I bought these to use for their intended purpose. Discharge hose.

And did use them for that.

With the very least bit of restriction on the end of the Lowes hose.... It exploded. It's only about 3 times as thick as your average party balloon.

The HF seems to be as strong, as solid plumbing. It certainly held up to a huge amount of pressure. Even when completely capped off, it held.

This is a pump that can empty a 55 gallon barrel of water in less than a minute. Put a garden hose on the end of the discharge hose, and the water sprays 50 feet and more. That's a LOT of pressure.

So my vote goes to the harbor freight hose. (The package says max pressure 58PSI, but it had to have stood up to three times that, at least.)

The item number for the hose is 95391. It's called PVC Discharge Hose.

I would suggest installing it by first stuffing it in the tire, flat, and marking it with about a 5 inch overlap.

Make sure it's tight into the tire. You'll be less likely to leave any gaps, later.

Once cut to that length, cut 5 inches, (or whatever your overlap was), from only one side of the hose. (Refer to picture attached.)

Cut the 5 inch piece out of -opposite sides-, on both ends of the hose.

Then, install in the tire with whatever glue you decide, making sure that the two ends overlap each other.

I hope the instructions and picture are clear enough.

If you do this right, you will have no gaps, and no overlap bulges.

Attachments

• liner.jpg
    liner.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 444
That kind might work better. My red fire hose (fiberglass and plastic heeavy duty hose) worked really tough, but was hard to keep lined up straight. It annoyed me so I just went to Super Tubes and threw the liners away.

I bought a WalMart Mongoose Paver off of Craigslist for $60. When I saw it it was practally brand new. Rode it, rims needed trued and tires needed some air but there was enough to test it out.

I got it home and inflated the back tire to the proper pressure then started on the front. I felt the bike shift and a *pop* kinda sound. Looked back to see the tire completely off the rim and the tube buldging. Then I noticed the front starting to do the same! I was letting pressure off the front when BANG!! the back tire blew, bending the rim badly. I got ahold of Mongoose and told them what had happened. She sounded like she'd heard it before and sent me two new tires and tubes and a new back rim!!

When they arrived I noticed right off that they had improved the design with a steel bead wire instead of fabric but when I went to put air in them they also started to come off the rim! Dismayed, I went to checking what was wrong. And what it was is they tried to cut corners and expenses by undersizing the rims, you can tell by the way the brake pads are adjusted to the limit of the adjusting slot.

To solve the problem I went looking for a better tire and on eBay I found Duro Tires. They called them "bullet-proof" due to the polyethelene band running right under the tread. This band not only prevents punctures but prevents the tire from expanding radially. The sidewalls have what they call a "flak-jacket". It's a very tough fabric of some sort that not only protects the sidewall but is reflectorized. I also added a gold and black liner, can't remember the product name and Slimed the tube.

I live on a road that has goathead weed that grows along the road and I've had no punctures at all :)

Back