First bike done

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Ynot, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Ynot

Ynot New Member

Just thought id show some pics of my first bike. Got the motor last night it was a bit of a squeese but all went alright just took it for the first ride ran perfect cant wait to go for another ride :grin:

Attached Files:

2. Live_to_Ride

Live_to_Ride Banned

Wow!......that's a tight fit!
    I'm no expert, but could you not eliminate the chain tensioner? Or will it still rub on the bar? That's a question I would like the others here to elaborate on. I'm learning as we go here. Question would be........."if it does not rub do you still need the tensioner"

3. Ynot

Ynot New Member

I just took it off and it doesn't hit any thing. i don't know why i put it on:???:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  4. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Very nice build !

5. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Great job and perfect fit. The one piece of advice I have is about the CDI. Like me (as far as I could tell) you only used one zip tie. You might put one just around the bar just below the CDI, or use a dot of adhesive or 2 sided tape under the CDI. Mine sild down into until it rested against the muffler and melted to death. Anything to prevent it from sliding down.
    I love the look of a new motor on a new bike.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008
  6. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice build :D
    squeezed it in there just fine !
    good job :)

7. reclaimer

reclaimer Guest

Lookin good, nice job. Might want to consider moving the cdi, as it will likely cause havok with your speedo. I like the color scheme, it all goes well together.

8. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Nice, clean build.

9. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

Nice Job , just look over any minor details, Like mentioned of the CDI straps, Zip tie those wires away from your muffler. Wrap the connecters with electrical tape to avoid water. Also use some kind of silicone and use were the spark plug wire goes in the CDI also to avoid water. Keep in mind all this is optional, it doesn't have to be done but its up to you. also make sure you keep checking all your bolts and screws. 1 more thing with the idler pulley, it looks like it isn't even being used, if you are planning on using it slide it back about an inch or two twords the back sprocket. Make sure your idler wheel is in its lowest position before you slide it back to avoid the wheel to come loose from riding and sliding down. Good luck with your new build

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  10. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

oh and by the way look into a stronger fuel shutoff valve, if you pant leg gets caught on the lever it is more and likely going to snap off, very cheap made.

11. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Most important, get a fuel filter on there imediately or pay the consequences later.
    Run it for a few miles and tear the screen off of the top of your petcock then reinstall the petcock along with an in line fuel filter.
    Looks good!
    Doc

12. Live_to_Ride

Live_to_Ride Banned

?

Are we sounding like overbearing parents yet?
    Oh and one more thing!...be home at 10 p.m. sharp!
    It's kind of nice to learn from experience.
    I raced moto-cross most my younger years and have had many street bikes.
    And I still am learning from this forum.
    It rocks!
    Now get on your bikes and ride!

13. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

wow no probs with float? im suprised its not bogging or too lean from the position of the carb, but from thel looks of it you dont really have a choice lol

14. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Ya, sometimes we do sound like old farts. BECAUSE most of us are OLD FARTS!
    Ha Ha!
    We all sound like our fathers before us and their fathers before them. Ain't that the circle of life?
    Live to learn and learn to teach.
    Doc

15. Ynot

Ynot New Member

Hi guys thanks for all the good advice took the bike to work this mourning ran great only a few probs just as i got to work my handle bars just about fell off :shock: my seat had come loose and one of my pedals other than that all good. I have just soldered all the wires and heat shrinked them that should keep the water out and I redid the CDI with double sided tape and another zip tie. One other thing can anyone sugest a fuel filter to use thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  16. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Ya, you can get cheap inline fuel filters with the paper filament for around 2.50 ea at Auto stores or on ebay where I get them 5 at a time. The paper filament has a fine micron mesh and it's a heck of alot better than the screen in the tank.
    Oh Ya, Have fun!
    Doc

17. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

I hope your not mocking me. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008
  18. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I feel so old, I don't have the energy to mock anyone. I have a hard time mocking myself.
    Truth is, we want every member here to learn just as we have and to not have to go through the hard knocks we have with these mighty kits. Simple brotherhood!
    Doc

19. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Nice tight build man.
    Well since were all making suggestions i've never been backwards in coming forewards:
    Only have your fuel hose as long as necessary with no wierd bends in it.
    Cut your fuel petcock down with a dremel(or whatever) so it doesn't snag things.
    Here's my AU$7 fuel filter from Peter Stevens Motorcycles.
    Happy riding. :smile:
    filter_.JPG

20. Scottm

Scottm Guest

A wise man learns from his mistakes. A really wise man learns from the mistakes of others. Peadling a heavy bike 2 miles into a strong headwind because of a melted CDI while wearing a helmet on a 95 degree day and then having to wait on USPS for a new $15 CDI really stinks. If I can save anyone from that fate, then I don't mind sounding like a dad.
    I am totally impressed with how Youi got that motor to fit in there.