First bike, need help with basics

aflaclover123

Local time
7:58 AM
So I'm building my first bike and I need to know the basics of how to start the motor, braking, and oil mixture. Also any routines or things I should do when I start the bike. Finally how to properly break the bike in.
thanks!

P.S.: I heard someone say you have to have the clutch in to brake. Is this true and if so, what do you do if you have to stop quickly if a car pulls out.

All this info can be found in the 2stroke and general questions sections of the website, mostly in the pinned posts.

As far as braking quickly, squeeze the clutch and the brakes at the same time, and steer away from the obstacle, like a car

All this info can be found in the 2stroke and general questions sections of the website, mostly in the pinned posts.

As far as braking quickly, squeeze the clutch and the brakes at the same time, and steer away from the obstacle, like a car
thanks

my GF has three brakes on her bike - I told her if a bus is coming at you hit all three and to hell with the engine

my GF has three brakes on her bike - I told her if a bus is coming at you hit all three and to hell with the engine
I've seen a special double brake cable, so it's one line, split to 2 lines, and those go to front and back brakes, it's linear so they don't make up for wear on the brakes, unlike the lever type double lever. I could see somebody effectively hooking up 2 double lines to a double brake lever, and in turn actuate 4 brakes at once, say 2 rim brakes and 2 disks... Talk about stopping power, throw in a coaster brake and a tractor-trailer couldn't push the bike out of the way if it wanted.

I've seen a special double brake cable, so it's one line, split to 2 lines, and those go to front and back brakes, it's linear so they don't make up for wear on the brakes, unlike the lever type double lever. I could see somebody effectively hooking up 2 double lines to a double brake lever, and in turn actuate 4 brakes at once, say 2 rim brakes and 2 disks... Talk about stopping power, throw in a coaster brake and a tractor-trailer couldn't push the bike out of the way if it wanted.

Unfortunately the dual pull lever already divides the effort from the lever by two. Connecting it up to four brakes would divide your effort by four, and also gives you the drag of all four cables on the one lever.

Unfortunately the dual pull lever already divides the effort from the lever by two. Connecting it up to four brakes would divide your effort by four, and also gives you the drag of all four cables on the one lever.
This is the dual lever I installed on mine. I am 6'4" 245lbs. and I drive my bike like I stole it. This lever will stop my bike almost to the point of a skid. I have linear pull brakes on front and rear and the longer pads installed on them. Initially, while I was building, I thought about a disc in the front, but I just don't need em'. Brakes work perfectly. The dual lever is part of the throttle/kill switch assembly all- in -one. Made well. Very happy with it.
brake.jpg
brake 2.jpg

I'd think it's a miracle that we humans could stop 250 pounds of anything traveling downhill at 40mph with one hand just by squeezing a tiny lever.

Divide by 4 or divide by 13 if you will, almost seems like if the lever can be pressed as much as it physically can and you're still moving then there's room for more friction.

Hmm now is the force being divided evenly between the brakes, or is it doubling the force being put on the lever?

These might be just cables but let's look at hydraulic brakes seen in most automobiles. If at the point where the brake pedal meets the hydraulic line we have a 1 square inch of contact with the fluid, and we are to put 25lbs of force onto the square inch, and at the other end the fluid reservoir opens to 4 Sq inches of contact with the fluid, then while the braking surface moves 1 quarter the distance than the pedal did, it's actually applying 25inch/pounds on 4 Sq inches, in effect applying a total of 100 pounds of force to the braking surface. Now whether that's being applied in a square inch of brake Pad, or spread across 20 square inches is irrelevant, it's still 100 pounds of force on the surface. If you divide that forces across 4 wheels it's still 100 pounds of force on each brake surface, as long as the lever or pedal moves 4 times the distance it did to achieve 100lbs on 1 wheel.

So if a brake cable is a reverse hydraulic line, where it's pulling not pressing, and the cables are linear devices not being used to fill in gaps like a fluid does, then is the force being actually divided up or are we just making the same force cause more points of contact who in themselves are being multiplied by a lever that is part of the brake system?

Long question short, why do we use 2 brakes if what you're saying is that 1 brake should be equally effective, since we are apparently dividing the force up if we use 2 brakes.

Back