First Bike

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by 58er, Jun 11, 2015.

1. 58er

58er New Member

First post, First Crack at building bike, going for old Indian look.

Attached Files:

Bow likes this.

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Nice bike.

And those wheels and tires look like Heaven on Earth.

One day I'm gonna have a motor assisted bicycle with more substantial rubber on the road. It's the only think, I think, that I'm still craving.

3. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Nice 'old school' look to start with.

Have you decided what to do with the drive train yet?
    Maybe an 30T sprocket on the jackshaft?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  4. 58er

58er New Member

Bike rides pretty good the way it is. Could use a little more low end. Maybe on the next one.

5. 58er

58er New Member

Thanks blue goat woods. Started as a fat tire bike from target.

David Bogle likes this.
  6. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

so cool!

7. 58er

58er New Member

IMG_1761.JPG.jpg

Added kickstand and rear tail light,

Bow likes this.
  8. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

I'm surprised you can even get it going. That doesn't have near enough gear reduction the way it is.

9. 58er

58er New Member

I have 10 tooth clutch, 14 tooth jack shaft prim. gear/ 9 tooth secondary gear/44 tooth sprocket. 6.5 hp motor, 26" wheels (29" ground to top of tire)
    using online ratio calculator it gives me something like a 6.844/1 ratio. I am new to this so maybe thats low considering the tire size,weight, whatever else. i can say i can go from a dead stop, on level ground to a comfortable speed with no issues, not interested in top speeds over 25 mph as i am interested in nothing more than cruising.what would be a typical gear ratio for something like this? thanks

10. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

What state allows a 6.5 hp motor on a motorized bike?

11. 58er

58er New Member

maybe it's morphed into more of a motorcycle than motorized bike but...... that's just the way it worked out.....still fun to ride....in any state.

12. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

On this, I'm sure we would agree on! Ride safe, wear a helmet! Remember young folks will emulate good habits or bad habits!

13. 58er

58er New Member

14. 58er

58er New Member

added fake shifter and acetalyne tank

15. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

Yep, you have 6.84:1 reduction. Your clutch doesn't even lock until nearly 30MPH and at your motor's rated working speed of 3600RPM, that's 41MPH!
    Ironic considering you say you're not interested in over 25MPH, because your clutch isn't even fully locked by then. Your clutch isn't likely to live very long like that.

You should have at least an 8:1 reduction, more if you plan on climbing hills or keeping the bike under 30MPH. I recommend swapping out the 44T for a 56T (8.71:1).
    That is still a little bit tall IMHO, but your clutch will be locked up by 20MPH. At your motor's rated working speed of 3600, that's 32MPH.

16. 58er

58er New Member

Ok, so as i have been cruising around, my clutch has not been fully engaged. got it, doesnt sound good. According to the same ratio calculator, I can change my jackshaft primary gear to something like an 18 tooth and get a 8.8 / 1 ratio, would this do the same thing? much easier to change than the sprocket......thanks

17. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Yes, change the jackshaft primary to something bigger like an 18T.

18. 58er

58er New Member

In my search for a bigger gear I spoke to someone and found out that my clutch settings have it engaging at 1100 rpm. Does this affect anything as far as changing my gear ratio?

19. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

With an 1100RPM lockup, that's about 12.5 MPH. I'd still recommend increasing the reduction.

With the 18T that will lower lockup speed to ~9.5MPH and help out quite a bit on low end.

20. butre

butre Well-Known Member

Mississippi does, probably a few others as well. I imagine any state that makes you register them as a motorcycle would let you have whatever motor you want as well