First Bike

maybe it's morphed into more of a motorcycle than motorized bike but...... that's just the way it worked out.....still fun to ride....in any state.

maybe it's morphed into more of a motorcycle than motorized bike but...... that's just the way it worked out.....still fun to ride....in any state.

On this, I'm sure we would agree on! Ride safe, wear a helmet! Remember young folks will emulate good habits or bad habits!

IMG_0190.jpg

I have 10 tooth clutch, 14 tooth jack shaft prim. gear/ 9 tooth secondary gear/44 tooth sprocket. 6.5 hp motor, 26" wheels (29" ground to top of tire)
using online ratio calculator it gives me something like a 6.844/1 ratio. I am new to this so maybe thats low considering the tire size,weight, whatever else. i can say i can go from a dead stop, on level ground to a comfortable speed with no issues, not interested in top speeds over 25 mph as i am interested in nothing more than cruising.what would be a typical gear ratio for something like this? thanks

Yep, you have 6.84:1 reduction. Your clutch doesn't even lock until nearly 30MPH and at your motor's rated working speed of 3600RPM, that's 41MPH!
Ironic considering you say you're not interested in over 25MPH, because your clutch isn't even fully locked by then. Your clutch isn't likely to live very long like that.

You should have at least an 8:1 reduction, more if you plan on climbing hills or keeping the bike under 30MPH. I recommend swapping out the 44T for a 56T (8.71:1).
That is still a little bit tall IMHO, but your clutch will be locked up by 20MPH. At your motor's rated working speed of 3600, that's 32MPH.

Ok, so as i have been cruising around, my clutch has not been fully engaged. got it, doesnt sound good. According to the same ratio calculator, I can change my jackshaft primary gear to something like an 18 tooth and get a 8.8 / 1 ratio, would this do the same thing? much easier to change than the sprocket......thanks

Ok, so as i have been cruising around, my clutch has not been fully engaged. got it, doesnt sound good. According to the same ratio calculator, I can change my jackshaft primary gear to something like an 18 tooth and get a 8.8 / 1 ratio, would this do the same thing? much easier to change than the sprocket......thanks
Yes, change the jackshaft primary to something bigger like an 18T.

In my search for a bigger gear I spoke to someone and found out that my clutch settings have it engaging at 1100 rpm. Does this affect anything as far as changing my gear ratio?

With an 1100RPM lockup, that's about 12.5 MPH. I'd still recommend increasing the reduction.

With the 18T that will lower lockup speed to ~9.5MPH and help out quite a bit on low end.

Back