first build.. AND IT RUNS! <kinda>

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by kraash, Jun 16, 2009.

1. kraash

kraash Member

well I dont think these builds are suppose to take 50+ hours, but mine did.. i had to make a front motor mount, put the sprocket on 4 times, and true boh wheels just to get started. I used a schwinn del mar. Oh and one other huge hold up, the inside of the sprocket had to be inlarged, also the muffler had to be bent 3 times =\.. anyway theres a few things still to do, but it runs atm =)

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18982&stc=1&d=1245195185
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18983&stc=1&d=1245195185
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18985&stc=1&d=1245195185

Attached Files:

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Man, it sure is a good looking bike. Congratulations.

50 hours is a bit long, isn't it? But part of that time you spent was fabrication. You avoided drilling through the frame, I notice.

My first MB took me a full two days to build. Second one was more like, maybe, 4 hours.
    It's definitely easier after the first one.

Have fun.

3. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Member

Congrats on your build. Sorry it took so long. I think I got my Del Mar up and running in 3-hours. My kit came with the flat plate adapter and U-bolt for the engine mount so this was no problem. Also sorry about the muffler. Mine bolted right up. WARNING - remove your fenders or change the L brackets. They WILL brake.

Oh... and very nice horse you have. You can just ride him when your bike is detained.

4. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

I bu.ilt the same bike..took my time .half the fun is building it ...I still not finished...put a better seat on it tonight..Have a boany butt ..test rode it for about 2 hours alltogether last weekend on some bumpy brick roads and my *** hurt monday...had to enlarge my sprocket also...exaust pipe took a while...ruan out of gas and had to bend it cold with a 7ft piece of 3in pipe about 4 times but it didnt break or collapse and fit good..had to file flat the gaket surface......

5. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

The time spent man and machine priceless. The end result is a fine looking motored bike. Have fun

6. kraash

kraash Member

Which l brackets will break? Are you running no fenders?

7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

front fender.... where it bolts to the top center of the fork....will break & become a brake!! I hope you have flight insurance...cause you will fly..... over the handlebars!!
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=20496

do a search ...."cranbrook fenders" . serious danger with front fenders!!

8. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Nice looking bike! Def reinforce the fenders.

9. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Member

Hawaii Ed.... you're killing me with your sig.... I so much need a trip to your little island...

If you are curious, I switched to "Planet Bike" fenders. They are polycarbonate and will not brake but I could go naked as a better option (especially on the islands),,,

10. biken stins

biken stins Member

Good job. Thats is a clean looking ride.

11. kraash

kraash Member

maybe ill just go without a front.. is the back a big deal.. i would hate to have to take that one off...

12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I haven't heard any bad things about the rear fenders.

13. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Member

Maybe it is just me but my back fender also came apart. I think it busted at the mount under the seat.

14. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

It's worth the extra time to make sure it's done right. A busted back wheel or exhaust pipe resulting from hasty assembly will cost more.
    Some guys can do a good installation in a few hours, but I can't. I don't remember how many weekends it took me to finish my installation but I remember firing it up for the first time late one night.

15. BBC_BelAir

BBC_BelAir New Member

thats a fine looking ride !! the only thing i would consider changing is the chain tensioner. i took my fresh build out for a 10ish mile ride and returned on my street, then my chain tensioner tacoed and killed 3 spokes :shout: but thats my opinion. but truly nice ride :D

16. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Member

I posted this a couple weeks ago but I made my own tensioner. Very easy to make and gave detailed instructions on how to do so. You could make it closer to the rear axle but I was thinking less restriction if more towards the center. I have it painted black now.

Attached Files:

17. BBC_BelAir

BBC_BelAir New Member

i like that!! looks solid and clean ill try that thanks :D

18. kraash

kraash Member

ya i dig that.. maybe a better wheel on it to?? could you post the link to your build notes for it?

19. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Member

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  20. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

LOL, some great rates to Hawaii now! I am in the middle of a new build, will need some new pics! Going to try for beach/bikini/bike next time. :cool: