First Build--Board Tracker, almost there

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by dbower22, May 11, 2008.

1. dbower22

dbower22 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008

2. zenith

zenith New Member

A lot of 'Panache'.
    That largish tank looks right at home.
    Favor us with more shots when done.
    z

3. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I like it...of course I'm biased towards the board track look.

4. ocscully

ocscully Member

5. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

6. dbower22

dbower22 New Member

i bought the tank used from a guy in N.Carolina, but I think HoughMade is right about it being from general moped and derringer cycles being hideously overpriced.

7. hellbilly

hellbilly Guest

Nice job! I really like your work on that. Have fun riding.

8. olddude

olddude Member

Prices???

Whats a darringer bike go for ???

9. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

10. stude13

stude13 Active Member

$3600.00

11. sjackson

sjackson Member

I have to admit I'm jealous. I've been looking for that tank for a while now. I can only find them on parts bikes, and nobody wants to sell me just the tank.

12. dbower22

dbower22 New Member

the tanks are around, you just have to keep looking. one just went on ebay for 60 dollars about a two weeks ago, so they're not that expensive either. i'll keep my eye out and let you guys know if i find one.

13. olddude

olddude Member

bike prices$$

I m asking $4,400 for my orange flying ace

14. sjackson

sjackson Member

Yeah I've been checking every day basically. I'm contemplating fabricating something out of fiberglass. I'm really close to just making a plug to pull a mold from. I don't have the engine kit yet, but I do have the bike, so I can start on that at least. I'd do it out of metal but I have no welding skills.

15. sjackson

sjackson Member

Yeah, but your bikes are a lot more than a schwinn frame with a moped tank strapped to it, so $4400 is pretty reasonable.

16. butch27

butch27 Guest

If you make a fiberglass one it may get eaten out by the gas. The factory tanks that we think are fiberglass are different composates like urathane etc. I have thought of making a mold of my Simplex tank but need to check into ti more.

17. dbower22

dbower22 New Member

well just an opinion i guess.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  18. sjackson

sjackson Member

No, don't get me wrong. I love what you're doing with your bike and actually want to emulate it. But I'm also assuming that your cost wasn't $3500 like the Derringers. I'm sorry if that came across as an insult. Yours is one of the bikes that really made me want to get into this. I saw it before I even knew about the Derringers and was actually shocked at what they charge.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  19. sjackson

sjackson Member

Boats, planes and old Nortons use fiberglass tanks. They're coated on the inside. It's entirely possible to do. My biggest concern isn't the gas attacking the fiberglasss, but actually the fiberglass cracking from stress. I have to make sure to do extra strength lay ups near the mounting points... If I can't find a tank I like and end up doing it, I'll be sure to take pictures.

20. Derriger pricing?

Guys, I sell a custom framed Model 10 with new Whizzer power, all powder-coated, WorksMan wheels, best of everything for that and a bit less.

Go Figure?

Mike