First build, First ride, Incredible!!!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GonzoOn2Wheels, Aug 3, 2008.

1. GonzoOn2Wheels

GonzoOn2Wheels New Member

Just finished my first build, lots of trial and error, finally got the thing done and went on two test rides and couldnt be happier! Had a few problems with chain tension and fuel leakage but other than that i cant wait to break her in and let loose. My roommate wants to build one now too :)
    c

heres a pic :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008

2. stringer

stringer Banned

pics or it didn't happen

3. Well said.

4. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Looks great - the colour of the bike is good too.. two problems from that picture though - I wouldnt recommend QR axles - specially on the back where the power is going through. If you can replace the quick release skewers with solid axles.. several of the manufacturers advise this, including Golden Eagle.

Have fun with the bike and remember to keep an eye on studs, fixings etc. Ride safe and remember safety equipment... 30mph falls can hurt.. I have the bruises to prove it at the moment..

Jemma xx

5. pedalpower

pedalpower Member

looks solid. I prefer the clutch on top of the brake but everyones setup is unique for what works for them. I think the QR is okay-it looks like they are for mountain bikes and just make sure you are locking them down correctly and check them frequently but for goodness sake-point the levers facing aft

Jemma, glad you are okay. If you show your bruise I'll show you my first engine fin burns on my left knee:grin: I has initiated myself.

6. dwsutton

dwsutton Member

Looks good, I like the "drip pan" - make sure to shut off the fuel esp inside !

7. bolton75

bolton75 Guest

Yeah they are great fun. I have a motorbike too (Suzuki SV1000) which I have hardly ridden for the past 8 months. I've had too much fun on the motored bicycle. Might get rid of the Suzuki eventually as it costs a fortune in rego, insurance and maintenance and I'm hardly using it.

8. GonzoOn2Wheels

GonzoOn2Wheels New Member

Just put the clutch on top, i road dirtbikes growing up and found that i was grabbing the brake more often than the clutch today doing my test rides. i will let you know how it feels tommorow.
    thanks for the tip

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  9. astring

astring Member

My daughter took a tumble last night and got her first road rash. I threw down my bike and ran back to check on her and in the process broke off the plate that holds on my center kick stand. 20 mph is pretty fast on a bike.

10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

How easily those words flow.:whistling:

LOL, that's funny.

I don't post pics; my friend Hawaii Ed shoots my bike when he visits me.

And a LOT of stuff's happening, lol.

Good job, Gonzo!

Might I suggest a 3-way petcock between the tank and carb? That way, you can drain the gas before bringing the bike indoors.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
  11. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

just another boring motorized mountain bike. where's the creativity?
    i mean it's a solid, safe looking build, but most of these bikes all look the same.

12. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Awww come on, psycho.

I ride a fast bike with unusual drive system, but I still give props to all MB's, slow, fast, exotic or "belly-button".

13. motorpsycho

well, i did say that it's a clean, solid, and safe looking build.
    but the fact that it looks like the majority of all the other bikes is what i don't care for.
    I'm not saying that i don't like it, i'm just saying that seeing this style of bike is getting redundant.
    I'm not putting the guy or the bike down at all...i just like to see more creativity.

14. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Many people duplicate a proven example of a motorized bicyle. Makes sense copying something that works for others, especially if their skills are still developing.

I started life as an MBer with a simple Subaru engine/friction drive.

Look at me now! LOL!

15. skrufryder

skrufryder Member

HAHA I get what moto is saying It looks like the bike on the front of the Install manual.....Its a good build from what I can See In the pic....Maybe the guy dosnt have all the tools, and knowledge to go CRAZY with a desing....If it gets from AtoB its ok in my book..... Was thinking of makin a bike simular to that to go ride some dirt trails..

16. motorpsycho

yeah as long as the bike is safe, solid and well put togather it's good.
    I like to see the custom built bikes with a lot of hand made parts, different gas tanks, custom paint, etc.
    i know that not everyone has the tools, or ability to build a custom bike, but i think that some simple custom touches can make a bike your own, and stand out from the crowd a little bit.
    even just painting the gas tank will make it look a little different than the rest.
    i guess it's because i like to do things different. I will never build a mountain bike or a cruiser with a motor on it because that's what everyone else does.