First build: GEBE Mongoose

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by spoom, Apr 27, 2009.

1. spoom

spoom Member

Here are a few pictures of my first build - it's a Mongoose 21-speed mountain bike converted to road-going duty with a GEBE mount-only kit, a chinese 43cc Mitsu-clone, and various other goodies. I hope that you like it!

Attached Files:

2. augidog

augidog Banned

i DO like it...full-suspension rocks (but gently)

i'm getting a mits-copy 49 for sabrina-2, kindly keep us posted on how the 43 does :cool2:

3. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

Congradulations spoom, You are going to love that thing, the gebe setup is the bomb alot of fun and really realible...

Now that you have started tinkering into the world of motored bicycles might i suggest the rear mount mod i think my bike lasted 2 months on the axle before i done this.

The main reason, easy access to the rear wheel and i can still attach my kiddie trailer...

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9208&d=1216163574

happy travels.... VP

4. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

spoom, Got to like them!

Attached Files:

5. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Spoom,

Can you do me a favor and take a close up of the front strap connection under your seat?

I tried to get a close up, but couldn't zero in on it. I have a green one in the shop, and another one is supposed to show up early next month.

How are you planning on carrying spare gas?

6. pooja84

pooja84 Member

Very good job!! It is a nice decent bike. Keep up the good work!!

7. spoom

spoom Member

Sorry for the delay in this response. Here are a few extra pictures I took for you.

I plan on carrying spare fuel in the black metal Coleman that's mounted in the bottle cage just in front of the pedals.

Attached Files:

8. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

best looking rear setup! wow the fenders piece it all together

9. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

nice bike bro!

10. Butch

Butch Guest

Nice lookin bike. Gotta love the Mongoose dual suspension, GEBE and Mitsubisha 43 combo. Comfortable, dependable ride for sure.

Attached Files:

11. spoom

spoom Member

Today's update: 39.2 mph.

Tomorrow I will work on joining the "40 mph club."

Attached Files:

12. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Thanks for the follow up, I missed the requested pix first time around.

13. spoom

spoom Member

No problem. I've updated the bike since those pictures were taken:

I upgraded the rear wheel to a Velocity unit with 105g spokes (broke the hub on the original, not the spokes.) I added a cheapo eBay velocity stack and filter along with an X-Port exhaust spacer onto the stock muffler. I'm in the process of testing a pair of custom (15 and 16 tooth) GEBE gears right now. I shortened the fenders because I thought they looked better that way.

Tomorrow I'm going to swap out the old premix for some Motul 800 mixed with 93 octane at 25:1 and will re-tune the carb. I'll add a couple more psi to the tires if that's necessary to break 40 mph. At some point I will be adding an upgraded exhaust.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  14. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

U know u can eliminate the electric starter on those engines if you want.you can also hook lites up to the starter and use it as a generator.

15. spoom

spoom Member

Mine came with a pull-start, so I didn't have to change that.

I hit 39.7 on Sunday, but 40 mph proved elusive. Drag becomes a factor at that speed for me apparentlly, as I noticed my rear-view mirrors start to slowly fold back above 35 mph. It was awfully muggy, and I didn't check tire pressure. I'll try again this weekend...

16. spoom

spoom Member

I did it!

New top speed = 41.0 mph.

More to come...

Attached Files:

17. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Congrats on your new speed record spoom!!!! I love those GEBE 2-stroke kits, they are FAST!

Your hard work payed off!

Crazy Riding,
    ZnsaneRyder :jester: