FIRST BUILD- Vintage Bike, and TECUHMSEH 3.5HP GO-KART MOTOR

Hello guys! I'm Christian, and 16 years old. I have blacksmithed for 9 years and been welding for about 9 monthes. I had an old bike that my grandfather gave me and an old Tecumseh 3.5 motor that went on my Go-Kart. So what do I do? Combine them! I am a new member, and this is my first post, and my first build. So please give me any tips and ask any questions! Thanks! I'm taking the pedals off, so I guess it's legally a motorcycle xP
P.S. My mig welder is broke and I'm to lazy to fix it, so I am using my SMAW welder, so most of these are tacks till I get the mig welder working cause the tubing is so thin and all I've been doin is burning holes. xD So sorry if the welds look nasty.

Gear Ratio question: I have a 12 tooth gear on the clutch that will go to a jackshaft that will go from an 18 tooth (connected to the clutch) to a 52 tooth which will run to a 24 tooth attached to the rear tire. How will this perform, or should I use a different gear on the jack shaft? The 12, 52, and 24 are pretty permenant, cause I'm using the original 10 speed gearing the bike came with. But I'm just asking how one set up will act to give me an idea on how my bike will perform. Cause I am going to make mine shiftable using the shifter the bike has.
Wellp, Here it is!

Attachments

• sHOP 051.jpg
    sHOP 051.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 3,317
  • sHOP 050.jpg
    sHOP 050.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 1,981
  • sHOP 047.jpg
    sHOP 047.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 1,766
  • sHOP 038.jpg
    sHOP 038.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 2,158
  • sHOP 039.jpg
    sHOP 039.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 2,157
The wooden ones don't look that "off" when the motor is mounted. My motor is bulky, haha, so I had to stick the foot rests out to clear the motor. But I like the peg idea. I have a smaller bike I'd like to motorize, I'll use it on that one! :D

Yep, do what feels comfortable and looks good to you.

What an interesting project!:D

Yea, Haha, it's been keeping me busy. And It's a lot of fun! :D Can't wait till it's "rideable". Then I can work on making it look nice xP I'd building this than sitting inside playing video games anyday!

Last edited:
Suspension Started

Started the front suspension. The 1st photo is a AutoCAD drawing that I threw together in 10 minutes. It's just something for me to follow, so it may change as I go along. Just looking at it I think the bracket that mounts the wheel should be longer so it has more play room, and the leaf spring should be longer. The 2nd photo is the support braces that I've started on. All hand forged. Ready to mount the leaf spring. Let me know what you think bout the overall plan :D
How much would a Golf Cart leaf spring cost new, and from a junk yard? I thought about forging one, but heating up metal tends to make it loose it's springy-ness unless you keep the heat down, which makes it hard to work, so I'd rather avoid the whole forging and tempering if I can.

Attachments

• sHOP 058.jpg
    sHOP 058.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 304
  • sHOP 059.jpg
    sHOP 059.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 332
I have a 12" end piece of gulf cart spring you can have ( it was given to me) If it will work PM me your address and I will send it.
Also PM me your email and I will send you pictures of how I did a front spring mount......Curt

But what happens if the brakes lock up? Won't I go over the handle bars?

I'm sure i'll be blasted over this one but here it is from personal experience. More weight from engine, diving suspension front.(unless very stiff) Equals brakes that are a lot more difficult to lock up. Not impossible though. If still worried about lock-up on front brakes shift your weight towards the front. the same goes for the rear. Shift your weight to the rear to help prevent lock-up.

Trouble with Jackshaft

So I started the Jack shaft today and came across a problem. I have to make a shaft with 2 different threads on each end to hold the Bearing Racers. I have access to CNC Milling a Lathe machines at school, but I don't have the experience. Who do I go to to have a shaft made?

And do I need to replace the Caged Bearings to a different Bearing? Cause I believe Cage Bearings are only made for low RPM's and low loads. Or will Cage Bearings hold up?

So I started the Jack shaft today and came across a problem. I have to make a shaft with 2 different threads on each end to hold the Bearing Racers. I have access to CNC Milling a Lathe machines at school, but I don't have the experience. Who do I go to to have a shaft made?

And do I need to replace the Caged Bearings to a different Bearing? Cause I believe Cage Bearings are only made for low RPM's and low loads. Or will Cage Bearings hold up?

You can do it. Cut the shaft from 1/2" or 5/8" OD stock. Make the same threads on each end. Use the lathe to cut the keyway.

The bearings(with retaining clip) are inexpensive and available online at go kart sites and ebay. Instead of pillow block bearing supports, you can make them from flat plate. They can take way more rpm than your engine can spin.

You can do it.

I've decided to save myself the trouble of modifing the shaft the pedals were on to make a jackshaft and to just use a wheel from a Go-Kart and make a whole nother jackshaft. Haha, lets see how this works xD

Back