First build

(about the milling machine)... I had my eye on Harbor Freight's mini-mill for a while, but found one used on Craigslist for $350 (reg. $600). He even threw in 6 different sized collets, so I got lucky on that one. Here's the link to it.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44991

But anyway, man I hope my second one IS easier than the first (many mistakes made). The main mistake, despite my best effort, misaligned the two large 1- 3/16" holes for the roller drive (drilled out with a step-bit). It was off just a hair, enough to make the drive noticeably uneven. I felt that it might put an extra strain on the engine if left that way, so I shaved of more aluminum on side to even it up. But that caused some slack around the 1-3/16" bearing, making it shake around and vibrate real bad. So I used layers upon layers of aluminum tape (leftover from some duct work a while back), and filled in the gap. So now, both bearings are snug and even steven.

The clutch drum sticking was partly because the 5" long shoulder bolt (1/2" width, 3/16" threads , then screwed into the clutch drum) was pressing into the tension spring between the centrifugal clutch's flyweights. Also partly because of the bearing issue. So after fixing that, I milled about 1/2" off the threaded part, put it back together and PROBLEM RESOLVED. Wooo hooo.

thanks for the words and thoughts!! I really like this forum.

-----------------

Last edited:
Yup, alignment is a major concern. Not sure how the pros do it, but you have to make sure you have a square and level vise to start with. Glad to hear you got some of the bugs out. Let us know how the test ride goes.

You might get more level holes if you drill them out before you cut out the bottom plate of the square tubing. This way there will be less flex in the material when you press it with the mill.

Most of the bike engine sellers seem to have the same design going, so I might be selling a few locally or renting them this spring/summer. And since times are hard these days, I'm hoping I can make a few much needed bucks.

I agree with waiting to cut the leg off After drilling the holes. But since I have two more channels already cut, I'm going to have to be very extra careful in order to get it perfect. The next round of channels though, i'm going to drill the holes first, and cut later.

Thanks for the advice folks!

(Here's the test ride link. It was very windy today in Louisville, so sorry about the noisy vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7WPd4pCev0

ETA... The drive roller's only 1", so top speed seemed to be around 20mph or so (maybe a little more). But the wind was blowing so hard, it was hard to tell. Can't wait for a nicer day to try her out again.

Last edited:
very professional.those will last as long as any other.i can tell with out asking that it works well.having it knurled is a must.u need to invest in a lathe now if u havent already.ive been wanting to get one.i pay 45 to have a machinist make my spindles.

New Build

Greetings all...I thought I would also add my new build to others. I attached some pictures as I made some changes to the DE fiction drive kit that adds a little more beef to the system. I have a 1.75 roller mounted that will probably get me to the 30mph range, (based more on what others have posted). I would like to cruse in the 30-35 mph range...but will have to wait for the weather to get warmer. I'm interested in any feedback.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 279
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 305
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 260
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 275
It's been a while since i've posted, but thought I'd give some updates... (i tend to ramble, so bear w/me :D )

I worked a knurled bike peg over the 1" slick roller, and it shot me into warp speed (36mph). Louisville's often very windy, so I have to kiss the handlebar headset to get to that speed.

I had a friend of a friend, who's a machinist, to make me 5-hole jig, to set my drill holes. Using the jig, I've almost got the alignment problem licked.

I'm still working with the same 3 channels I made 10 months ago, vowing not to order anything else until these are perfected. 2 have several hours on each, the 3rd one almost ready to mount and take it to the testing grounds.

So, after discovering the joy of the knurleness, I ordered 2 one-way rollers from BMP, and the one I've used works awesome.

My girlfriend and I get to ride together finally, and she loves it. We're duelin' TLE43, one each, and what a growl those babys make in stereo, side by side.

Got more pics coming. Have a cheap red beach cruiser, my other FD on it, and it looks sweet, rides sweeter. Flat tire the other day tho, so no pics yet. Soon tho.

Check out my vid, it's kinda long and noisy in spots, but she taped me and clocked me against the speedometer. You'll see it at 34mph, but I got up faster than that at certain points.

I love this site. You folks are very helpful, and it's nice to find others interested in these. Most folks around here.... NOT interested in em. Vacant looks -to- outright disgust. Some go out of their way to say hi and ask about it. Those are the nicer ones. ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smCSr-oECD8

Back