first build

This started life as a mid 70's schwinn road bike.
the gas tank is made from a piece of 4 inch exhaust tubing, with the fill from a piece of plumbing drain trap.
home made exhaust.
The engine is from dax 47cc. he's a good person do deal with and very helpful.

Attachments

• nov 2010 049.jpg
    nov 2010 049.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 512
  • nov 2010 046.jpg
    nov 2010 046.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 345
Innovative and good looking too. The road bike fork and skinny tires are a little scary to me, but that's part of the excitement.

Do you have any pictures of the tank during fabrication?

reply to chris crew

the only pictures of the tank are after it was more or less finished but here is one.
as for the bike being fragile, I've ridden it for a lot of years,and it hasn't failed me yet. It weighs 42 pounds, and yes it is a blast.

Attachments

• april 28 2010 043.jpg
    april 28 2010 043.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 295
looks good.

I really like the way the bike looks. The only thing I would change is you might think about cutting down ends of the handle bars. You don't really need bars wider than your shoulders I think if you do that the drag from the wind will drop quite a bit. If you do that you might think about lengthening the stem a bit . A good rule of thumb is when you look down at the handlebar the bars should cover the front axle of the front hub.

The reason they like to make the bars on mountain bikes so long is to help you get a bit of mechanical advantage when your climbing up those steep mountain hills.

All and all the bike looks grate! I wish mine looked that good.

Mike

Back