First Build

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by rananthan3, Jun 23, 2015.

1. rananthan3

rananthan3 New Member

The chains are loose. The one from the output drive sprocket to the 17 T jackshaft sprocket can be tightened by sliding the engine along the holes in the mount plate but I hit the end with one of the bolts so I can't move the engine further toward the handle bar unless I mod the mount plate and drill new holes. This is a SBP 4 stroke shift kit.

Also did anyone blow out their nexus 3 internal hub. I don't think they are designed for motors.

20150623_222559.jpg 20150623_223252.jpg

2. rananthan3

rananthan3 New Member

DSC_0517.jpg

The only thing left is the petcock, loctite, and proper torquing. If it falls apart, I can put it back together.

3. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Hang in there. That motorbike is going to be a looker. Other members have used nexus hubs with good results. I have only used one on a bike that wasn't motorized.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  4. Leroybrown420

Leroybrown420 Member

Nice. Are you going to powder coat your frame? I did mine flat black.
    PART_1435352142136_0626151355.jpg

5. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Nice looking build!
    Correct.
    You need to modify your base and it is not uncommon.
    Heck, I pretty much make all my own 4-stroke shifter bases though the SBP shift kit is a pretty good base.

Usually this involves welding a tab at the end of the front U plate the width of a muffler clamp that will fit the downbar.

[​IMG]

The muffler clamp gives you a 360 degree grip and flat spot for mounting to.

No, have you toasted an internal shifter?
    I have dozen or more out there and not a single failure I know of.

I absolutely love internal little 3-speed hubs for shifting bikes, the above example has a Nexus, the last one I did was Strumey Archer.
    These is a simple beauty to fat chain going to single sprocket in perfect alignment.

Here is a tip for your right side chain tension...
    Put a tension wheel on the base plate or via a spring loaded derailleur sprocket to adjust that so you don't need to mess with your base when it's in perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just be sure to always put any tensioner on the return side of chain drive, not the drive side, that has all the force.

6. rananthan3

rananthan3 New Member

I am comfortable with the color. I will look into the right hand side chain tensioner which will be useful as the bike ages. Slack in the chain is a big source of performance degradation and mechanical failure.

7. KCvale

Actually, the initial 'aging' can be had in the first ~10 miles of operation, that's why I have to keep a helper just to go ride the thing around for a couple miles at time, and then bring it back for adjustment.

After ~10 miles things get easy to maintain and adjustment minimal.

Sure you can use a spring loaded tensioner so you don't have to turn a wrench but there pros and cons to that too.

For me that depends on many factors from the power type to the drive train, but chain and sprockets wear a bunch to first 'mate' much like rings in an engine, but it's simple from there and a fixed pulley is great for that.

8. Leroybrown420

Leroybrown420 Member

"that's why I have to keep a helper just to go ride the thing around for a couple miles at time"

That sounds like my kind of job. Nothing but the gravy.

9. Saddletramp

Saddletramp Member

I have three Honda GXH 50 motors just sitting here on my shelf. Is that a store jack shaft mount? If so Where did it come from? It's pretty. You have done such a nice job. I have three Schwinn OCC bikes I would love to put a 4 stroke on.

10. rananthan3

rananthan3 New Member

The jack shaft mount comes with the 4 stroke shift kit sold by Sick Bike Parts:

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/

11. Saddletramp

Saddletramp Member

Thank You! I think Pablo @ the crew are good people. I'll get with them. SBP is an innovator in the MB World. I saw their first jack shaft kit when it still had the Sharpie lines on it!

12. KCvale

It's gravy if it starts right up, trying to start a reluctant 2-stroke repair when it's 110F not so much, that's why I start a 7am here ;-}

I got your e-mail about helping out here in my shop, I'll get back with you this weekend.