First flat....man, that sucked!

Warner

Local time
1:06 AM
I got my first flat today coming in to work...and man did that suck! I was about half way to work when I thought I heard a short hiss, when I looked down to see my back tire was indeed flat. Bogus! So I pulled over and changed it out, which took me about a half hour (rack mount kit...first time changing a flat with this rig, and I found that although adjustable wrenches fit everything, they don't always fit well everyWHERE! So I'm going to toss a couple of axle nut wrenches in with my tools. Good news is I had a spare tube and pump, etc with me. Bad news is after changing it all out I somehow messed up my deraileur a bit....didn't have time to figure it out as I was already going to be late (but was only a couple minutes late). Ah well....it was bound to happen! Whatever I ran over was pretty substantial, as it put a cut almost 1/2" long through my kevlar reinforced tires. I cut a piece off of the old tube and put it between the new tube and the inside of the tire to give some additional protection to the new tube.

Warner

I guess that is one thing never thought about really while MB commuting to work....

You are at the mercy of those two skinny little tires and tubes!

Nice work though with the 30 minute pitstop!

I guess that is one thing never thought about really while MB commuting to work....

You are at the mercy of those two skinny little tires and tubes!

Nice work though with the 30 minute pitstop!

Good thing I had:

Tools
A spare tube
A pump

I could do it much faster next time, and with proper tools. It's a little bit "interesting" getting the back tire off a rack mount....hehehe....and it's even MORE "interesting" getting it back ON!

Warner

PS - I hit over 38 MPH on my way in after that......

Something that we know - in time is bound to happen - but yes - it sucks !!! I just repaired a spoke - on the rear - and yes - the derailer can be a problem - not to bend that important thing. At this time I have been going on some long rides several times a week - taking with me - NOT MUCH in the way of repair parts or tools - depending on my Kevlar 40 dollar tires - who am I fooling - MYSELF - a fool is one WHO FOOLS HIMSELF !! When I get a flat - I will remember this thread !! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Something that we know - in time is bound to happen - but yes - it sucks !!! I just repaired a spoke - on the rear - and yes - the derailer can be a problem - not to bend that important thing. At this time I have been going on some long rides several times a week - taking with me - NOT MUCH in the way of repair parts or tools - depending on my Kevlar 40 dollar tires - who am I fooling - MYSELF - a fool is one WHO FOOLS HIMSELF !! When I get a flat - I will remember this thread !! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

I would have been SCREWED without the spare tube, pump, and tools....and with my big <donkey> bags I have plenty of room in them for stuff.

Warner

Follow up - My commute home:

After my flat experience on the way into work yesterday, I stopped off at Performance bike shop on my way home to get some more spare tubes and have them look at my rear derailleur (which looks like it need to be replaced). After he adjusted my frame and derailleur, I used their compressor to fill my tire up properly (it's tough to get over 60 psi with the little hand pump) and went to do a quick lap (pedaling) out in their parking lot. I rode about 20 feet before I heard "ssssssssss". The original damage to the tire was so bad that the tube poked through it and bursted again. So back into the store to buy a new tire and replace the tube again. What a job! I learned a lot about my bike though....some things that need fixing and some steps I need to take when changing a flat......all good. It sucked how long it took to get home, but it's all part of the learning process and I still love the bike. I ordered these liners that a cycling friend pointed me to yesterday ( https://www.turtleskin.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SPINSKINSDURO ). I also found a local shop that carries those Specialized Nimbus Armadillo tires so I might give those a shot. I want to read some reviews on them first though. Take the flats out of my commute and it's downright enjoyable! I don't work too much on the way IN to work (don't want to get all sweaty), but I work a little harder on the way home (starts with 2 miles of bike path - pedaling only) and take a shower when I get home.

Warner

Last edited by a moderator:
Might have been able to apply a tube patch to the inside of your tire - this can work in a fix for slight tears in tires. Today I perfer to buy a new tire fast - but - there were the days when I rode as long as I could on ANYTHING THAT I HAD !! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

A dollar bill makes for halfway decent tire boot in a pinch. I've also used those tourist fliers that all the hotels have.

I too ride everything as long as possible. I've been known to sew tire sidewalls back together if the tread is still good, this is done with pieces of other tires for reinforcement and is able to withstand over 80 psi. I trust my work.

I gotta get a better set of tires...my 27x1.25's are no match for a thorn.

Mine are 1.25's as well. I'm going to buy the Specialized Armadillo Nimbus tires this week and install them this weekend (along with the Spinskins that I ordered, which should arrive on Friday). The Specialized Armadillo's are 1.5" I don't really want to go any wider than that....don't see a need and it will only make pedaling that much harder. I'm also thinking I'm going to do less riding on the shoulder and more riding taking a portion of the lane that's NOT full of debris (esp on Route 72 - Higgins Rd.)

Warner

Back