first motor for rambler trike

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dmould66, Nov 28, 2010.

1. dmould66

dmould66 New Member

ive been looking to start a motorised bike project for some time and have now taken the plunge with the purchase of a realy clean "indie rambler" trike. its what id call a traditional trike with 5 gears and brakes on both ends, front is a trad sort and the back is a band. ill get some photos up when i can.
    what im looking to do is motorise it and would appreciate any advice. i like the idea of a centrifugal clutch as i have the use of only one hand but think i could rig up a clutch lever if i had to. ive seen the chinese kits and realy like the "look" of these motors but am worried about quality. might perhaps use a 4stroke upright lawnmower type engine "hidden" in the basket. i also like the idea of an eletric front hub (to get it up to engine starting speed if i go chinese). what im realy looking to achieve is plenty of power to lug loads and so i dont have to peddle up ANY hills. speed is not important to me (within reason) but the abbility to chug up a steep hill whilst pulling a trailer is.
    look forward to picking your brains

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Dave, joining up here was a good choice. Lots of experience and a great willingness to share it is what you will find.

That said, post a pic or three of your trike. Modifying controls to accommodate one handed operation is something I'll be glad to discuss with you - I've been finding work-arounds for one-handed accomplishment of tasks for the last 43 years. I had a trike conversion until mid summer, when it got squashed by a hit and run driver in a parking lot while parked. I'm building a tadpole recumbent to be GEBE powered right now - slowly, due to limited mobility at the moment, but it will be on the road (hopefully) in the next 60 days.
  3. dmould66

dmould66 New Member

heres some pics of the beast.

from what i can make out i need to keep it to 200w to stay legal in nsw. i can get a "chinese" motor here thats certified to this limit, but need advice on how to connect it. would it be a good idea to get a jack shaft and put it through the bikes gear to utilise such a low power output?

Attached Files:

4. dmould66

dmould66 New Member

after a bit of poking around ive decided to start with eletric. ive ordered a 24v 500w hub motor kit minus the batteries. im thinking two 12v car batteries. ive got a 112 amp-hour battery on my electric boat that im thinking of matching, it weighs a ton so two would be very heavy- is the biggest battery the way to go or will pulling the weight be more of a drain than a gain?im thinking this is the way to get a decent range reasonably cheaply, considering the load space i have to play with, but it wouldnt be the fist time my thinking was flawed! any advice before i make an expensive mistake?
  5. PatrickW

PatrickW Staff Member

Scratch, scratch, scratch...Go to Staton-inc, and talk to David Staton. He should give you all of the info you need, based on his 18.75 gear box (he will custom mill for you)/ with the dynamic Subaru/custom gear box and engine he will set up for you....It can't be beat. Talk to him, and he won't sell you anything you don't need). He is a straight-shooter, and will only try and sell you what you 'Need'...nothing more...and suggest parts you really should have...tske is I said, he is a straight shooter!
  6. Didz

Didz Member

A centrifugal clutch is definitely handy for one handed use.
  7. dmould66

dmould66 New Member

ok thanks for the replies. i recieved my hub motor and fitted it all on. quite happy with it realy. totaly silent, about twenty five kph without pedalling. only problem is the controller packed up after a 30k run out on the highway. if i can get this reliable ill be very happy!:poop: